Wiring a Grid Switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

New to the forum, but reading the posts seems like you're a friendly bunch so be gentle!

Installing a new kitchen and am going to instal a grid switch - dishwasher, washing m/c, fridge freezer, oven (if I can get one rated to 30A which I might not be able to), hob and extractor.

Trouble is I can't find a wiring diagram for them. I'm pretty experienced with electrics, but never fitted one - it will be pretty easy I guess when I've got it but want to first fix before getting it.

Do you just run a single feed, say 30A, and then split it at the back of the box or do you have individual feed to each switch and just create a ring in the back with links?

Hope that makes sense.

Thanks,

Jon

Sponsored Links
I use MK Gridswitches - most are 10A rated but some are 20A - never seen one any higher but I'm sure others will point of if there are any around.

You will see common supplies used but I prefer to wire like any other switch.

The largest rated grid switch whitch MK do is a 20A DP switch, which depending on circuit design, is normally sufficient for a kitchen grid.

The pre printed ones in the link above really do look the dogs danglies IMO.

Sponsored Links
You screw a frame to the box and then wire modules up and insert them into the frame Finally you screw the cover on. All the switches and other modules are seperate units, how they are connected to each other is entirely up to you the installer. You wil have a lot of wiring so I would reccomend a deep box.

I would use conduit singles for running from one module to the next, they are more flexible than cores from T&E

When planning your wiring arrangmenet you must bear in mind the terminals are smaller than those on most individual MK accessories (max: 4x 1.5mm, 3x2.5m, 2x4mm or 1x6mm).

http://www.mkelectric.co.uk/PDF/technical/GRID_PLUS_tech.pdf

If feeding from a ring I would just loop the ring from switch to switch same as if they were seperate switches.

Bear in mind that, if you adding to an existing ring, you will be concentrating all the big loads on one point on the ring - not good design.

Better to run a separate circuit (4mm radial) to the grid switch for the appliances.
I've not see a grid higher than 20A - what is your hob rated at?
You may need serate circuits for both of those.

PS dont forget - electrical work in a kitchen and new circuits are notifiable.

Better to run a separate circuit (4mm radial) to the grid switch for the appliances.
personally even if going for a seperate circuit I would still suggest making it a ring, 2x4mm is on the limit of what mk say thier terminals will take and I would therefore guess it would be a pain to fit.

I've done a couple of grids with 4mm into MK double pole switches (so 2x4mm in each terminal).
It works OK and is within MK's spec.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back