Riven paving

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone recommend a way I can remove cement dye stains? I
grouted grey riven stone flags, (Indian Sandstone), the mixtures I think was a
little too wet, so staining has occurred.

Getting the right mix is not easy. I need to remove the
smudges on the edges.
I used "Febtone", black.

Kind Regards

AmAzInG

Sponsored Links
Urgh. Sounds horrible - black grout with green slabs? Each to their own.

Have you tried cement clearner? Its an acid you water down and apply. Don't know if it works with dye, but you never know. Someone else will have an opinion.

Urgh. Sounds horrible - black grout with green slabs? Each to their own.

Have you tried cement clearner? Its an acid you water down and apply. Don't know if it works with dye, but you never know. Someone else will have an opinion.

Their grey !! Acid will turn the stones yellow. Thanks for your expertise!!

AmAzInG

difficult as the sandstone will suck in the colour. Try rubbing a small offcut of the sandstone on the affected area, it may gently abrade the colouring off.

keep the mortar drier

Sponsored Links
difficult as the sandstone will suck in the colour. Try rubbing a small offcut of the sandstone on the affected area, it may gently abrade the colouring off.

keep the mortar drier

Thermo, Good idea!! I never thought of that. I will have a go. Good saying about graces to accept and change. !!!

I thought of using ordinary house bleach diluted with water???

Might try on an experimental piece first though. Don't want to discolour the slabs in the other direction.

It's worth try.

Cheers for the suggestions

AmAzInG

bleach wont do it. sandstone will draw in anything thats put on it, so dont!

Thermo!

Perfect. I have to say you hit the nail on the head! Fortunately, there in not too much stain. So a bit of light rubbing has helped!

The mixture...well that's the trick.....too little water and the dye will not hydrate, and run all over the place on a rainy day. Too much, well here we are!!

I have loads more to do, so practice will make perfect.

You're the daddy!!!
javascript:emoticon(':LOL:')
Thanks
Take care
AmAzInG

Thermo!

Perfect. I have to say you hit the nail on the head! Fortunately, there in not too much stain. So a bit of light rubbing has helped!

The mixture...well that's the trick.....too little water and the dye will not hydrate, and run all over the place on a rainy day. Too much, well here we are!!

I have loads more to do, so practice will make perfect.

You're the daddy!!!
javascript:emoticon(':LOL:')
Thanks
Take care
AmAzInG

I had a chinwag with the manufactures of FEBTONE. Little can be done once the dye has got itself into the cement or stone. it's an oxide and chemically becomes part of the stone.

Rubbing has not helped, but, where the mixture has a chance to seep into the flags, NOTHING!!! can be done.
It was recommended to try brick cleaner, but probably not a good idea on Indian Sandstone.

So thanks again for your suggestion. A lesson learned here.......must keep the mixture dryer.

It hydrates with very very little water.

Cheers!

Perhaps someone else will find use in the posting.

Take care

AmAzInG

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back