Fit glazing to panelled interior door?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'd like to install a glazed door in my spare bedroom to allow more light to pass into a very dark corridor. Currently, I have a c1900 pine 4 panel door there, which has beading round the panels - it's nothing special, but it matches the other doors in my house and obviously is already fitted to the frame.

Would it be a reasonably simple project to fit glazing to the top two panels of the door (perhaps by removing the beading, and cutting/removing the wood)?

I could of course buy a reclaimed door that is already glazed, but these seem to cost £200 and upwards, and I'd still have to hang it and fit it to the current frame.

If it is possible and anyone has any experience of doing this, I'd be really keen to hear about it.

Sponsored Links
I'd like to install a glazed door in my spare bedroom to allow more light to pass into a very dark corridor.
Yes, it's possible, my property was built in 1903 and normally most of them have fanlight windows above the doors which may have been blocked in, I've found 3 fanlights above my doors which I have open up again. Most of them I've seen is timber studwork and plasterboard. I make lead stained glass window as a hobby so maybe leadlight window instead which give a character to the old building
Currently, I have a c1900 pine 4 panel door there, which has beading round the panels - it's nothing special, but it matches the other doors in my house and obviously is already fitted to the frame.
Don't ever get rid of them, you cannot beat the original doors in old property.
Would it be a reasonably simple project to fit glazing to the top two panels of the door (perhaps by removing the beading, and cutting/removing the wood)?
I have done loads of them and the tools I've found easier was to use multicutter, Bosch do a cheaper version for the light diy'er compare to the good quality Fein multimaster depending on your budget. A very popular tool, just cut it into the beading, before you do that, make sure the door is not weak, have a look on the side where mortices & tennons are joins together, re-glue and add more wedges etc or depending on the condition of the doors you could take out both beading and make a small internal frame with screws and glue which will strengthen the door.
I could of course buy a reclaimed door that is already glazed, but these seem to cost £200 and upwards, and I'd still have to hang it and fit it to the current frame.

If it is possible and anyone has any experience of doing this, I'd be really keen to hear about it.
Waste of time and money as you may have to plant an extra timber to the door to make it fit neatly into the frame plus the ex-door handles and the ex-lock being the wrong size or wrong position.

Another way of bringing the natural light into the dark area is ther popular Sunpipe

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back