ceiling rose to spotlight help - neutral wires

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Just bought a 4 head bar spotlight that i want to replace my old light and ceiling rose, the problem i am having is that on the instructions and on other forum posts it only mentions 2 black earth wires going into the rose and i have 4 black wires (it does have 2 switches!) just want to make sure that i can put the 4 black wires together and that this wiring has previously been done correctly, also the switched live is not sleeved, it is a red wire with the black part of the twin and earth going to neutral.

To explain a bit better i have 1 red wire going into the live on the left, then 3 red wires in the "loop in" in the middle, then 4 black wires going into the left, and from what i can see none of them are sleeved, and the earth wires go into the earth connection.

Please give me some advise to stop her indoors moaning that "she bought the lights weeks ago and i still haven't put them up"

Thanks

Andy

Sponsored Links
Is there any other light fittings that come on at the same time as this one?

If so it looks like the other lights are getting their switched live direct from one of the switches and their neutral from the light you are proposing to change, alternatively, do the 2 light switches you mention switch any other lights?

Could well be a pretty standard (not my prefered) method of wiring.

Pics of the insides of switches and fittings concerned would be handy.

yes sorry, forgot to mention there is another light that comes on when the light is switched on, it is in an L shaped hallway with a light at each end

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back