Floor Screed not quite right?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I did a little bit of screeding on a small area. 3 parts sharp sand to one part cement. Just enough water to let it ball up in your hand. Mixed it all up and laid it down. The problem i had was it was a right pain to lay down as it seemed so dry! Well I kept telling myself its the right mix and finished the job.

Its been dying for a couple of hours now and it still seems gritty and you can still rub the surface and it will come away, unlike concrete.

Is this how its meant to be? I'm hoping it hardens by tomorrow and no one will be walking over it for a couple of days. Someone put my mind to rest! :LOL:

Cheers!

Sponsored Links
Alright panic over! seems to have harden off OK and not sandy any more!

Cheers

Sponsored Links
it is a very odd mix i know!

but in order to get a hard wearing dust free surface, a dry mix is the only way.

because sharp sand is being used, there is little doubt that it will eventually set hard. metal troweling will help to compact the surface.

incidentally, there are only a few cupfuls of water difference between a wet mix and a dry mix. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back