cable length for spur from ring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is there a max length of cable you can use for installing a spur from the ring, i want to instal a spur but the nearest i can get to the existing ring is about 15 feet. Is this OK

Sponsored Links
As long as your earth fault loop impedance does not exceed the prescribed limit, yes.

Sponsored Links
Are you both saying the maximum length for a spur from a ring final is 3M?

Surely there's a misunderstanding of the regulations if so :confused:
The fault current protective device will be fitted in the consumer unit.

As long as the spur is wired in 2.5mm2 cable, is capable of carrying a minimum of 20A and has an R1+R2 value not large enough when combined with Ze to push the figure over the maximum value allowed for a 0.4s disconnection time (Zs) then I don't see a problem.

the 3m is the distance where the protective device is located
anyway short answer yes you can
gary i was not saying no as you very well explained in your post above i only pointed out the regulation for guidance if he wants to add more than i point
ie 1 non fused spur or more than 1 after a fused spur depending on load
maybe i should have just said that in the first place

Because my memory was faulty, it was too late to be reading the regs accurately, and therefore I thought the 3m rule applied to overload protection, not fault.

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Or is it cos I is a twit?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back