£29K Quote , was expecting less,should I manage this myself?

Hi, nickobelic,
First things first,
get 3 other quotes, at least two of them from neighbours who have had some work done and were satisfied.
give each builder the same speck and instructions on what to quote for and take notes on what is said and confirm all verbals by letter.
also check the bons fides of any builder who you fancy to do the job, but don't just take the cheapest quote.
Don't pay money up front, if the builder wants materials money, offer to pay for deliveries on site, (as yo will be there anyway)
Offer staged payments only, all disputes to be decided by arbitration.
Get each builder to give a materials quants estimate and a timescale for the job, including the order of works, (trades).
Then you will know what and how to do it (if you still want to)
But, and it's a big but, you will have to interview and check out every single tradesman you get to work for you.
Do you know how to tell a good plumber from bad? (no sniggering from the back there please) or a bricky? or wood butcher?

Sponsored Links
Some good advice on here- thanks.
As well as some big heads who think that all DIY ers are doomed to failure.

Anyhow I HAVE got a quote of £20k now from my brother in laws company.
I didn't ask them before as we haven't always been close, but their work is good.

So I was getting milked by the previous quotes no doubt about it.

In any case it looks a non starter since converted bungalows are not as marketable as pupose built propeties in general around here and we can gain two bedrooms and more space by moving which will cost us about 40k and looks the better option for the long term.

But with the housing market being stone cold dead and no being able to sell I may have to do the extension!!

how was the other company milking you? i expect your brother in law will be giving you a better price than a non family member, and the other companys work may be too a much better standard. A company offers a quote of what they like, no one forces you to take the offer do they. 20k seems a good price to me, but then without seeing the work no one knows.

The spec is pretty specific so not much room for different materials etc.

He is obviously doing it for slightly less than normal, but I am of the opinion that certain builders just work to margins that are a lot more than others. And they also have labour rates that can vary massively. This is the only explanation I can give as to how prices can vary so much.

Also it is a fact that some people put in a price based on how much they actually want or need the work.
I'm sure most builders would rather work on a new build site where they could come and go as they please rather than having the issue of having to tidy up everything and work around people living in a small space for example.

The first guy that I spoke to told me that he thought he worked on margins and labour rates that were the same as everyone else but then he never got any work in our area, basically because there were people willing to do it for a lot less.

But yes at the end of the day you pay your money and take you choice.

Sponsored Links
I'm sure most builders would rather work on a new build site where they could come and go as they please rather than having the issue of having to tidy up everything and work around people living in a small space for example.

you don't know how true this is! :eek:

i have spent my entire working life as a builder working for the public, mainly on domestic extensions, re-furbs and jobbing. i often chat with site brickies who echo exactly what you have stated.

it is peculiar to our industry that prices vary so much. but then again a 10-15 week extension can involve a lot of items!

the onus and the advantage is with the customer when seeking quotes provided enough decent builders are available.

i do sympathise with people who are working with little knowledge of good local tradesmen.

it can be daunting. :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back