Weeds.. growing from underneath new layed lawn.. grr

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

dug the soil over underneath the soil before we put the turf down, the soil was clean and no weeds on top, so therefore we went with the laying.

appears that these weeds? unwanted plants are growing up through the gaps in the turf between each strip.

not really a problem at start as took about 1-2weeks to come through, but now they are being a pain as more and more is coming through.

would say about 8-9 over a 20sq mtr garden.

ive enclosed a picture if anyone can diagnose what it is.

had an idea that maybe i could cut a square out of the turf, and re-lay covering it, but this might just make myself open to another set coming through.

bugger eh..

BYRNEFAMILY-0006.jpg

many thanks..

moi.

Sponsored Links
When you turned your soil ,you started a new batch of weeds but only the ones in the cracks got air and light to grow, if your lawn is thick the weeds won't grow.
As to the cracks or seams you can hand pull or use a weed spray keeping in mind your watering them as well as the lawn.

Mow it.

Grass thrives on being cut once a week to a height of one inch. there are very few other plants that can stand it without dying. those are the ones that become pernicious lawn weeds. You do not say that the ground you used was an old lawn, so probably they are just general garden weeds or plants and will die if you mow them off. as the grass gains strength it will also crowd them out.

After mowing regularly for the first year, you can see if you need a selective weedkiller next year. It is best not to use chemicals on a new lawn as the grass is more delicate than an established one.

Sponsored Links
hi all, thanks for the advise.

today i bought some of that roundup stuff to use on the weeds. when i started to spray them, i noticed that as the grass was tall the weeds were pretty poor and shriveled.

as we already have bad patches of grass due too the dog ****ing on it, so they need replacing, will just replace these patches too.

isnt dock, the dock leaf.?

planted some more plants / flowers tonight, lets hope the rabbit doesnt eat this batch..

well an update, planted some more flowers and the treated areas have died off as expected.

Bad news for the rest of the garden as more weeds are coming through, in about 2 mins in the garden i counted about 5 more areas of outbreaks, 1 snail, 1 slug and a dead bird.

Unsure where the bird came from..

Appears its just coming through the joins in the turf. Might treat the new areas and go with that.

Might appear that i treat the whole garden, and have no grass..

Broad-leaved dock it is..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back