Cala Lillies

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I have some established clumps of cala lillies in the garden
Can anyone tell me
Once the flower stem has gone brown should it be dead headed ?
and when they die off in the autumn should all the brown leaves be cut right back or should they be left to rot down naturally ?

Sponsored Links
My green fingered wife assures me that Canna Lillies should be dead headed, and the Tubers dug up before winter & stored frost free.
Hope this helps.
JonB :LOL:

thanx jon
I have had them several years but i have never dug them up ive always left them in the ground.

and the Tubers dug up before winter & stored frost free.:

why would you want to plant them any way?

images

its a tuba

but on a serious note (punn was intended) why dig them out to put them back where they were before you dug them up? My late father did that with dhalias, but as he is dead, i can't ask him why.

My point is nature made them, they grow, die, grow, die, etc never been dug out of the ground and still they grow again, and even jjb1333 said he leaves them there and they grow, die,grow die, so why take them out ?

(I can kill a plant by looking at it, i am not a gardener, just curious)

Sponsored Links
they are not supposed to like it over winter, however im with you on this breezer. i have some dahlias i was given in my garden (not my style, my mother got them from a friend who grew them and won many prizes with them, and planted them without me knowing. cant get rid of them as my little girl loves them!) Dig them up over i winter i was told. I just leave them and they come up better than ever.

nature will always overcome!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back