vent portable air conditioner through double glazed window

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am in a rented flat which is roasting hot all the time and so bought a portable air conditioner. It needs to be vented to the outside. At the moment this is going via an open window, but as we are on 6th floor with a 3 year old it's not ideal from a safety view and there is also quite a lot of trafiic noise.

I was thinking about either getting a new glazed unit with a hole already cut in it, or replacing the glzed unit with a sheet of perspex and at the end of renting put the original DGU back in.

I was wondering where you can get DGU's from - and rough cost. I had a look on the web but most companies giving online quotes want to sell you complete windows and I only need the sealed unit.

I am guessing probably it will be too expensive and so will probably look at the perspex option. My question in that case is what thickness to go for and what to do about the gap between the glazing beads and sheet - DGU unit is 3cm wide and I am guessing Perspex would only need to be about 1cm.

The DGU size is about 180cm by 90 cm.

Also, is it fairly easy to cut a hole in a perspex sheet (13cm dia required) or should I try to get supplier to do that ?

Sponsored Links
Looks like you have 28mm DG unit (standard thickness). Sometimes they use white plastic in these frames if they want a blank panel so you can obviously get white panel that will fit. Another way is to check if you can get thicker rubber seals to make up the difference in thickness.

Best if you could work on a smaller window though than the one you are suggesting. The most expensive way would be to have another DG made for you, with the hole already cut and sealed at the factory.

As a temprrary measure, put a chain around the handle and fix it to the wall or frame so the window can't open more that 4 inches.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back