Problem with uPVC window frame

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My house has uPVC windows, and in the kitchen the window frame (the plastic box set into the wall) has come away from the wall on two sides, on the inside of the window only fortunately.

I think I know why this happened (struck by an over excited washing machine repeatedly some time ago) - but was wondering what I should do about it? Presumably I just need to glue the plastic back onto the wall - but what product should i use?

Thanks
Rob

Sponsored Links
I can't picture a "plastic box" as part of the windows, but if you mean the plastic cover strips adjacent to the frame/wall, then use something like no-nails or gripfill

Better still, rip the awful things off and fill the plaster properly

Hey, thanks for the reply woody.

I think we are talking about the same things. They are like plastic strips which cover the sides, top and bottom (forming the window sill) of the wall opening, on the internal side of the window. To be honest, I'd happily pull them off and plaster the inside of the window opening. I assumed they formed an integral part of the window structure - not the case?

If I were to remove them (say just using a stanley knife to cut the sealant) - that wouldnt damage the integrity of the window itself would it?

Cheers
Rob

These cover strips are fitted for expediency only - as they cover any plaster gap or damaged decorations around new installations.

At the next redecorating time, these things should be ripped off and ritually burnt for the monstrosities which they are!

Cut any silicone, and it will often peel off or can be rubbed off with your finger. Or there are chemical removers. Plaster up to the frame and then once all dry, run a bead of sanitary silicone (it has a fungicide) around the frame to form a nice seal

Edit:
if there is one along the bottom, then if removed, you may need to get a new window board as the gap may not look good if filled. But have a go

Sponsored Links
What we would do in this instance is after removing and replastering . allow plaster to dry then seal internal perimeter with acrylic (decorators chalk) than take a wet paint brush and wash in the sealant to give a slightly flexible seal to frame also you can then paint straight up to your frame as the paint will take to the chalking better than to silicon.

if you do refit the trims use low mod neutral cure silicon if u use any sealant with assatones in,IE assatoxic cure the fumes under the trim cause delamination and in approx 12 months you will be back to square one.

Great advice - thanks guys,

They are definitely coming off as Im refurbing my kitchen in a few weeks anyway so will be doing some plastering. Think I'll use the caulking to seal

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back