Which sealed unit have I got ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have some alluminium patio doors on the back of the house which were installed around 1975 when the extension was built. I am trying to find out what type of glass sealed units we have.
The units appear to be 14mm wide, perhaps 2X4mm glass with a 6mm gap. I cannot see any kyte marks or any kind of marking on the glass.

Does anybody know what kind of units these could be - toughned or just plane glass ? or soemthing else ? What was the building regs in 1975 ?

Thanks

Dal

Sponsored Links
If they are that old I would say they are either 6.4mm laminated or just plain old 6mm.
You should be able to get the overall thickness by measuring the thickness of the door then putting a straight edge across the face of the door near a corner and measure the distance between glass and straight edge, repeat for other side and deduct these measurements from the overall thickness of the door.
Are you intending replacing them?

Sorry Forest , back again. No I am not intending to replace them. I have replaced the nylon furry seals - I was able to get the same thickness from a local manufacturer of doors. The sealed units are 14mm looks like 4-6-4mm to me.
I was just checking to see if they are safe or I need to do something - been alright for over 20 years, kids are grown up !

Sponsored Links
Just had another close look and discovered the following reference scratched on the silver separator strip in the DG unit :

C74/11/405K - This may give some clues as to what the glass is ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back