new house, 2 queries.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As I was helping my son + family move into their newly built house, I noticed 2 things that caused me concern.
1. There was no water meter fitted.
2. There is a unvented cylinder fitted. There is a black plastic tundish fitted in the cylinder cupboard on the pressure relief pipe, approx. 0.5 m. below the pressure relief valve, the 22mm copper pipe then runs under the floorboards in the cylinder cupboard.
There is no visible sign of any termination of the pressure relief pipe, either internally or externally.
Am I correct in my assumption that both these points need to be rectified ?

Sponsored Links
don't worry they will be round soon to fit water meter.
whats the rush to get a meter fitted ?
the pipe probably joins a waste pipe somewhere or the soil pipe.

I would be more than surprised if there is no discharge route for the pressure-relief water. The cylinder (and the house) is still there so maybe all is well?

As for the meter; I do not know anyone who has save money AFTER fitting the meter. So keep your fingers crossed.

You can run the discharge pipe into a drain internally if there is no other means of evacuation. If it is a plastic drain pipe (it is a newbuild?) then you will need an approved converter such as the HepVo BV1/BV2 waste kit.

Sponsored Links
The Water Providers' own figures say that many homes save by having a meter, we have, and a few I know. It depends whether your usage is above or below average.

You may be right chris. :)
If there are meters in the area then there is no escape. A positive thing about them is your ability to save money if you wanted to.

Good luck.

The Water Providers' own figures say that many homes save by having a meter, we have, and a few I know. It depends whether your usage is above or below average.

I think that the reality of the situation is that after a meter is fitted the occupants are more careful with their water usage.

With two or more living in a house a meter is likely to work out more expensive for the same consumption.

A lot of people are paying about £400 p.a. for their water now.

Tony

your behind the times tony.on a meter years ago two of us around £300 a year and we were carefull.a relative lived over the road for the same period theirs was £500 for two,only difference was they washed the cars and took baths and left the tap running when brushing teeth.

Average your £300 and over the road's £500 and we get my figure of £400 !

QED !

Actually, the Ofwat web site says the average is £347 but the demographic distribution of dwellings includes a very high number of single pensioners which distorts the statistics to be unrepresentative of the median consumer consisting of a couple with a kid or two.

Of course an average is just that, there is the single pensioner with no teeth or car to clean and that dreadful family with six kids!

Tony

Thankyou for all your comments.
The reason for posting the 2 queries was : ---
1. I thought it was compulsary that all new build houses had to have water meters fitted.
2. I thought that the termination point of the pressure relief pipe had to be visible. ( suppose I could always ask the site plumber where it terminates )

The essential requirement is for a tun dish so that any discharge can be seen to occur.

I dont think there is any regulation covering discharging into a suitable internal drain.

As long as it can withstand the temperatures then I dont think it would be considered as much of a problem.

The background of the regulations is to ensure that when the discharge is outside that any discharge will not be dangerous for anyone in the vincinity.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back