MIRA Zest 8.5KW fault

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have one of the above and it has worked perfectly for 3 years until this morning.

I have measured 240V at the terminal block. The 2 microswitches on the on/off switch for power settings are permanently open circuit no matter what position the switch is in also no water flows at all which I thought these worked without an electric supply?

Any advice?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi,

Our Mira Zest 8.5kw shower stopped working on wednesday 25th June 08.
For some reason, even though their is nothing wrong with the water supply, the water has completely stopped coming out. I have no idea why this happens. I used to have a gainsborough which when broke still pumped out cold water. As far as the Zest I think that either the flow valve or soleniod switch needs replacing. We stupidly bought a new Mira thinking that it would sit right where the zest had been but we had to drill new holes ect. Our new Mira does not work either so we are totally out of answers. You can always check the filter near the inlet pipe (bottom left of shower). Try pushing the silver bar down in the middle of the shower.This should manually allow to flow valve to let in water. The water may still be cold though. Let me know how you get on. We have certainly hit a brick wall with this but do not want to spend £250 on calling out an electrician and getting messed about whilst booking time off work.Good luck, all the best.

Sponsored Links
Both are Mira Zests 8.5kw, both have ceased to pump out any water. Same problem, something in common, thought may help.Cheers

...water has completely stopped coming out. I have no idea why this happens.
We stupidly bought a new Mira...
Our new Mira does not work either so we are totally out of answers.
We have certainly hit a brick wall with this...
...thought may help.Cheers
So, did it "help"?

but do not want to spend £250 on calling out an electrician and getting messed about whilst booking time off work.
How do you know that it would cost £250, and that you would be "messed about"?. I can fit a new shower for that price, and you wouldn't be messed about at all. Are you just a rogue customer?

He's one of those folk who refuses to get professional help on principle, claming it costs too much and it's too much hassle.

Then he spends hours, nay days, trying to fix it himself.

All the while, he's getting nowhere except frustration city.

I am new to this site and to be honest feel like my thread was hijacked by what looks like a personal vendetta!

Whether he is a "rogue customer" or not he is the only one that offered any kind of help or advice. I don't want to appear rude but "repair or replace the shower" is hardly helpful is it.

My mistake but maybe I was under the illusion that this forum was designed for people to help each other out. Telling someone to repair or replace is hardly knowledgable is it - my 9 year old daughter could give that advice to anyone about anything!

I am new to this site and to be honest feel like my thread was hijacked by what looks like a personal vendetta!

images

Is this You?

Whether he is a "rogue customer" or not he is the only one that offered any kind of help or advice. I don't want to appear rude but "repair or replace the shower" is hardly helpful is it.

Well actually.............yes it is. What else can any one say with the little information you have given.

some, not all electric showers its easier to change the whole shower, depending on how "hard"" the water is where you live determines how long it will last (there is no strict calculation), but the harder the water the shorter life an electric shower has

My mistake but maybe I was under the illusion that this forum was designed for people to help each other out. Telling someone to repair or replace is hardly knowledgable is it - my 9 year old daughter could give that advice to anyone about anything!

perhaps you should have asked your 9 year old daughter first.

The person who you consider to be helpful has not really helped at all has he?

in essence he has just whinged about his shower not working and given some figure of what he thinks it will cost for an electrician. that is of no use to any one (apart from him)

If the microswitches on yours are both open (assuming you are reading your meter right) then surely it is something to do with that? (but i get a sneaky feeling you are not reading them right)

so if you are reading your meter right you have answered your own question

How much more information would you like?

All I stated was that the person who everyone "jumped on" was the only one that offered any advice or help (not stating that he was helpful just that he offered help)

And its hardly rocket science to test the continuity of a microswitch with a standard multimeter is it - unless you have some idea of how I could be doing it wrong?

download pdf info from mira`s website and use the fault finding guide.
not rocket science is it ?.

Apologies. You have a point and have made it politely.

No, it was mischievoius. Sorry.

OK. If you've identified a microswitch that never conducts, then I would bypass it and see if the shower works.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back