Plywood subfloor : choice of screws ?

Sponsored Links
I am laying down some insulation tape on top of all my joists which will compress to approx 5mm once it's sandwiched under the ply I intend to screw down.

In view of this, what's the best screw selection for securing 18mm ply to joists ?

I've got 4 x 30mm, 4 x 40mm and 4 x 50 mm to choose from.

Also what centres are best 200, 300 , 400 mm ?

Reynard - the basic formula for screws is 1/3 = thickness of material to be fixed & 2/3 into the support. So for your 18mm ply, screw length is 18 x 3 = 54mm ... the newest screw to this is 50mm; that's the size you use.
200mm apart is fine. Make sure any joins between the sheets of ply are supported below, ie. mid-point over joists or support with noggins (at least 75mm x 50mm) for joins at right angles to the joists. Failure to do this will allow the ply to flex at the join and will cause damage to floor covering above (cracked tiles).

Why are you laying "some insulation tape on top of all my joists"?

Sponsored Links
Why are you laying "some insulation tape on top of all my joists"?

Thank you for your guidance. I'll go for the 50mm length. What's the best screw size as I notice size 4 seems to be the most popular choice in the shops. Is it worth making pilot holes first or is this overkill ?

The tape on joists is optional for me. I'm not sure if I can be bothered. Basically I've bought acoustic tape for soundproofing and more acoustic tape for the perimeter soundproofing. We'll see.

Thanks again.

Reynard - Spax single thread woodscrew (or similar) are fine for this application although you could use Turbogold (from Screwfix). No need to pilot drill as these screws are 'easy starters' (sort of self-drilling). Tip - 'cos you've got lots to do first lightly tap a row of them into position with a hammer (this is only to hold them in position for electric screwdriving - you don't need to hammer them in very far, just enough for them to stand to attention so you don't have to hold them). Failure to do this WILL result in damaged finger-tips from the driver-point slipping into your screwholding hand.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back