single skinned extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just bought a house with a single storey, single skinned, flat roof extension on the rear. The standard of brickwork looks pretty poor and it might need some reinforcing. I'd like to use the extension as a kitchen and have been advised it will need a second skin. I've been given various ideas: Add an internal brick wall and fill the void with cement; add an internal brick wall and tie it into the original wall or simply put in a stud wall and render the outside to hide the awful brickwork.

Sponsored Links
Whoever advised you is wrong.

It needs a suitable moisture barrier and insulation, which is not necessarily a second skin.

Knock it down and rebuild it, but have a look at the founds/footings also, if whoever built it was crap, then the unseen stuff is likely to be worse than the seen.
you should also check to see if the build was passed by the local council for building regs.

However if you don't want to do that, then your options are internal stud with a moisture barrier, or an internal lightweight block wall with ties to the external, this will need some foundations.

How bad does it look externally, can we have some piccys?

I don't agree with demolition unless its clearly in distress, or its too small. Way too much trouble, time and expense.

The best option is to use what's there and upgrade it

Sponsored Links
The Broderbond stand corrected

Not so much a religion, more a bunch of cults.

I don't agree with demolition unless its clearly in distress, or its too small.
It could also put you in the difficult position where you have to re-apply for Planning Permission & this could even be refused due to changes in planning regs. since the original was built! :cry: Worse scenario but it does happen so it’s always worth checking before wielding the hammer!

I can't get pictures at the moment as I haven't moved in yet and it's a repo. I think what the previous owner did was apply for permission to build a conservatory. The first three courses of bricks are perfect. It looks like he's then just built the rest himself...when he was drunk. The pointing is rubbish and the walls shake when you hit them. The paperwork from the local authority states there are no breaches of planning permission. If I can get away with it I'd like to strengthen the whole thing, use it as a kitchen and plead ignorance if anyone finds out. At least that's what my wife has told me to do.

If I can get away with it I'd like to strengthen the whole thing, use it as a kitchen and plead ignorance if anyone finds out. At least that's what my wife has told me to do.
Never take any notice of what the wife tells you to do; they will always get you into trouble & then plead ignorance; :LOL: unfortunately ignorance won’t get you off the hook as far as non-compliance with Building Regs. goes. :cry: It only takes one nosey neighbour who doesn’t like what our doing to shop you so I would advise you work with your LABC rather than not; complying with BR’s is not generally onerous & they can be really helpful if approached in the right way. It rather sounds as if the extension may be unsound anyway!

hi, woody,
Never mock the broderbond, for fear that the Great Bricklayer in the sky might drop a stone on you, or the Architect of Confusion will garner you for his flock

ooooh, Stan, (in Grimsby)
And after I'd been nice to you, well I suppose I should make alowances as you live in Grimsby, (I suppose someone has to)
Hence the sayings, 'I'ts grim (oop north) in Grimsby' and, 'grim by name and Grimsby by nature' and grim, grimmer and Grimsby.

Nothing wrong with Grimsby. There cant be, its got a Doncaster postcode! ;) And its the way to Cleethorpes (nearest seaside town to us Doncaster folk). :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back