Ideal Icos HE boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have received conflicting/confusing advice from my local Corgi ‘men’ so would appreciate some unbiased advice on the choice of replacement wall boiler (60/80,000 btu ‘heat only’) to fit in a kitchen wall cupboard. Although I would like to fit a ‘HE’ boiler two Installers recommended that I fit either a Glow Worm Micron or a Potterton Suprima L – both ‘SE’ boilers!! A third Installer suggested an Ideal Icos HE (which appears to be the only high efficiency boiler to fit into my cupboard) but when asked to include this boiler in their quote both the previous Installers told me that it was new and unreliable and would not recommend it!!

Could anyone give me some unbiased advice on the reliability of the Ideal Icos HE boiler, or suggest any similar sized ‘HE’ boiler (max 300mm deep) that would fit in a kitchen wall unit

Sponsored Links
I have fitted about 75 Icos and Isars 9 the combi equivilent) had found them to be extremely reliable

They did have a problem when they were first released, it being they had a really poor PCB fitted and they had to be changed, but since then I cannot recommend them highly enuogh, in fact its all my company fits now so they cant be bad, just a note to say that this is based on realiabity rather than cost as there are cheaper ones on the market

A Keston celsius 25 will fit into a kitchen cupboard ( about same size as a micron, yet it also has a pump inside). As a bonus you wont see a huge bulking flue protruding above the units. As a second bonus, it has a stainless steel heat exchanger - something which is suggested with condensing boiler.

Thanks Corgiman - I feel a bit happier now asking for the other quotes to include the Ideal Icos. You mention cheaper alternatives - could you suggest any that I could have a look at and check up on prices etc

Also thanks Htgeng, I will have a look on the internet for details on the Keston Celsius 25 - presumably a stainless steel heat exchanger is an advantage over a cast iron/alloy one? - and yes it would be a bonus to contain the flue within the wall cupboards

Sponsored Links
I would go for the Glowworm Micron, fitted a few a few years back, only ever had to go back to service them so obviously reliable, designed to fit in a cupboard, good reliable cast iron heat exchanger.

there ok I suppose but it aint an HE one though is it and for an extra 70 thats what you get

I still dont trust HE aluminium with there must have correct ph value in the water type boilers, when they have proved themselves over about 10 years I will start recommending them.
I have an Ideal Isar myself as an experiment, when and if it is still going after 10 years I may recommend them to my customers, till then I will stick with SE boilers and next april people will have to take pot luck and take a chance.

I have a problem with a ICOS HE pcb. The boiler is two years old. Part numbers- PHC033_c4 or B033_8bG. Could you please advise me on a replacement and where i could purchase it. Thanks for your time.

Is it an Icos HE or an Icos M3080?

The pcb will be different for each.

Many online merchants out there who will sell you one. If not look at partscenter.co.uk but these will probably be the most expensive.

My orginal PCB unit failed under guarantee the replacement has also now failed and been replaced yet again by an orange coloured unit. How reliable are the orange units?

My orginal PCB unit failed under guarantee the replacement has also now failed and been replaced yet again by an orange coloured unit. How reliable are the orange units?

The new V9 orange boards are reliable,the black,and early orange boards are the problematical ones.
The early boards were made in China (black ones) since then Ideal have changed manufacturers,and as said,the new V9,is reliable.

I've just had to have the PCB replaced in the above boiler. The boiler was installed in May/June 2008. The orange PCB which was taken out seems to have burnt out with some of the orange plastic partially melted and blackened. Looking at the installation manual it was a V9. I do not feel all that happy having something that actually burns out in that way. Do all modern boilers have this sort of problem.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back