up & over garage door falls shut !

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
my "up & over" garage door, when pulled open doesnt seem to want to stop up. i assume this is something to do with the springs.

is there anything i can do to fix my problem ??

Sponsored Links
has one of the lifting cables snapped?

have you lost tension in the spring.

or is the door an old fashioned weighted type?

Sponsored Links
If it was a snapped cable, then it would be a struggle to lift the door. More likely to be a duff spring or weight setup.

My garage door has two springs on the inside, accross the top of the door under a cover. The spring hooked on the left is attached to a cable on the right which goes over a pulley down the right hand side on the door. And vise versa for the other spring. When one spring broke the other spring still helped to lift the door etc. It's a Garadoor Mk3

In my case the hooked bit on the end of the spring had snapped off and I was able to bend the next coil on the spring after heating with a blow lamp and hammering and put it back in !! Still ok after several years.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back