Block paving question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am laying block paving and was reading teh instructions supplied with the Wacker plate - they say that I should use a rubber mat on the concrete blocks - is this necessary? (I have hired the plate but no rubber mat. Paving expert makes no mention of it).

Thanks..

Sponsored Links
I don't do block paving but I imagine a steel plate onto gritty blocks would cause the latter to scuff up.

Go into the forum on paving expert, there has been talk about rubber mats etc on there, most don't use em and have no problems and these are people who do this daily. BUT having said that, small grit particles can scratch the surface of some blocks, so its up to you really whether you use a rubber mat on the foot or not!

i have never used a rubber mat.

we're talking about concrete paviors, not some high gloss fine porcelain tiles!

the grittiness of the sand plus the wacker will probably only clean them. :rolleyes: :LOL:

Sponsored Links
when you've done laying them and all the cuts, then sweep them clean with a long handle soft broom then use it to sweep in your kiln dried sand
leaving a good dusting of the sand on top, this will go down (work in) as you wacker and it will clean your blocks, sweep what's left of the sand
(add more if needed) into the blocks so the gaps are full, cleaning the paving as you go.
I've never used a rubber mat nor seen anybody using one.
when you're done you better figure a price for doing your neighbours. :)

never used a mat either! In fact ive never even seen one in the hire place i use either

Thanks for all the responses - it puts my mind at ease.

Just got to do the job now...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back