window in extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, building my kitchen extension i've realized i need more light. i will be building a wall 1130mm wide, one side will tie in with existing wall, at the other side is a door. i have a window 675mm wide which will leave 220 either side i.e. one brick, will this be enough? there will be a catnik on top, two courses and then wall plate for small lean-to pitched roof............

Sponsored Links
ok, thanks. what would be the max width i could fit then? also should the cavities be closed at eaves?

If you span a single lintel across both openings, then you wont have to worry about slender pier ratios.

The minimum return on a corner is 675mm without calculations. there is nothing stopping you having the door or window right on a corner, but the BCO may want a structural calculation.

There is no need for a smaller window.

Sponsored Links
great, so i'll put the window and door together in the middle of the wall spanned by a single lintel and i have plenty of return on either side. thanks for advice

The minimum return on a corner is 675mm without calculations. there is nothing stopping you having the door or window right on a corner, but the BCO may want a structural calculation.

Woody is this calculation for the inner leaf or the outer leaf or both ???
as i am fitting external french doors to my small extension and have a corner return of 550mm.

Stan the 675 dimension is external. If less than that, although it will still work quite happily, it requires a calculation to say so, which takes into account both leaves.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back