Ceiling Light Fitting - Sudden Failure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
About 8 months ago i replaced an old light with a new fixture on a lounge ceiling. I then replaced the double dimmer switch to one that can have push on/off rather than tweaking up the dimmer every time.

Now... it took a while to figure out the correct wiring but got there in the end as the old dimmer had a totaly different layout.

Everything was working great for months when suddenly no main light.. but the wall lights where still working on their dimmer. I initially thought it was the bulb however ive tried numerous different bulbs with no luck.

I then suspected the dimmer - from Wickes. Ive had the dimmer out the wall, checked all the connections on it which all appear to be receiving power fine.

I then supected the fitting itself - The slightly odd thing is that when the light is turned off, there appears to be a low current coming through to the wires leading to the socket. When it is turned on, my lil bulb tester glows brighter. I had put in an energy saving bulb before it all went wrong - (something i know ppl always say you shouldnt do...) could this have blown the dimmer switch after prolonged use?

Also, Within the fitting there doesnt appear to be any power to the actual contacts (where it meets the bulb) in on/off switch positions, which is also odd considering the fitting is getting the power to it. This lead me to think maybe it was the fitting..

The fitting is a GE shade holder type, to take a large shade ring. You push the bulb in and rotate it to install which unveils the contacts inside. Its possible that this fitting is faulty too? Although all connections seem tight and solid as far into it as i can see. Does this push and twist type have a habbit of breaking?

Sponsored Links
new dimmer (although you could try a normal switch first) and bin your "tester"

Ta for the hint, i think your prolly right. Im off to Wickes now to see if i can wangle a replacement.

Looking again at the connections its for sure the faulty side of the dimmer which isnt behaving properly.

normal energy savng lamps on dimmers are not a good idea :cry:

Sponsored Links
I realise that, but obviously not enough - as i swapped it out for an energy saving bulb as a temporary measure then totaly forgot about it!

Wont make the same mistake again ;)

Wickes kindly have swapped my tormented dimmer with a new one so thats some good news at least :) *pleased they allow for stupid customers*

New dimmer is in and everything working fine! Thanks,

on another note - why bin the tester?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back