New screwdriver needed - but which make?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I really need to buy a good pozi screwdriver about 3pt in size.

I dont mind paying a reasonable price I just want one that doesnt chew its end to bits at the slightest sign of a stubborn screw.

So what make can anyone reccommend.

Back in my youth Stanley were the tools the proffesionals used but times and technology have moved on a lot since then.

Sponsored Links
i assume you talking car or simmilar
as most wood screws are pozi or pro bits!!!!

Sorry it is for wood etc so pozi. I'll edit original post.

Does the difference influence the choice of make?

For wood I can't imagine not using a cordless drill and interchangeable hex bits. Screwfix and others do a good range, up to Pozi #4

Sponsored Links
the point is if you use the the wrong sort off bit it will chew up the screw/ head regardless of make it just takes a bit longer with good makes ;)

in normal wood working 95% of the time you need a pozi/pro no 2 bit

it will cover metric sizes from 3 to 6[3 3.5 4 4.4 5 6] imperial sizes 6 to 10[6 7 8 10]

imperial no4 pozi 1 and imperial 12 pozi no 3

if the screw and bit are the correct fit you can carry the screw to the wood and without holding the screw it will screw in even on a non magnetic bit or holder

the screw type is marked on the head as in a star within a star design on the top is pozi/pro and a well defind single cross is philips[phs]

please note that sometimes on no4 imperial and 3 metric somtimes a philips bit works better even though the head is marked with the star within a star pozi/pro symbol

the way to select the correct bit is hold the bit horizontal insert into screw
the bit should carry the screw without falling off or at least have no wobble /rocking at all

I've had a set of Facom screwdrivers for 15 years. Used every day and every one of them still has a perfect tip.

I agree with the others though, screw ends chewing up are normally the result of the wrong screwdriver / bit for the screws in use.

the point is if you use the the wrong sort off bit it will chew up the screw/ head regardless of make it just takes a bit longer with good makes ;)

in normal wood working 95% of the time you need a pozi/pro no 2 bit

it will cover metric sizes from 3 to 6[3 3.5 4 4.4 5 6] imperial sizes 6 to 10[6 7 8 10]

imperial no4 pozi 1 and imperial 12 pozi no 3

if the screw and bit are the correct fit you can carry the screw to the wood and without holding the screw it will screw in even on a non magnetic bit or holder

the screw type is marked on the head as in a star within a star design on the top is pozi/pro and a well defind single cross is philips[phs]

please note that sometimes on no4 imperial and 3 metric somtimes a philips bit works better even though the head is marked with the star within a star pozi/pro symbol

the way to select the correct bit is hold the bit horizontal insert into screw
the bit should carry the screw without falling off or at least have no wobble /rocking at all

yes but even when you do all that and use the correct bit, the screws can be so crap that thye chew to bits, eg on door ironmongery. When im fitting them i tend to use screwdrivers.

Stanley still make a good selection of screw drivers, the ones I have seem to be OK when I use them, Gedore have a nice tool range but can get a bit expensive... Al

I've had a CK pozi screwdriver heading on for ten years now. It gets daily trade use. The tip is starting to ruond off a little now, but thats not a bad life in my book :LOL:

I also like the wera screwdrivers.

yes but even when you do all that and use the correct bit, the screws can be so rubbish that thye chew to bits, eg on door ironmongery. When im fitting them i tend to use screwdrivers.

yep i agree thats why i never use the screws or plugs sup :D ;) plied

Don't get the Stanley with yellow handles. They're rubbish - too soft. Also all handles the same colour, so difficult to see which are which in the tool box, but then many brands seem to follow this practice.
I've got some Wera VDE screwdrivers with lasertips - they're excellent. When I need to buy new normal screwdrivers, I'll be getting Wera again.
For what you need, try Screwfix item 31823.
Wera screwdrivers also have large diameter handles which are great.[/url]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back