Installation of 3 phase press unit and irons...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In a room where alterations take place ,2x new presses and iron units need to be installed .Do both units need a 3 phase rcd ?

Sponsored Links
Does the manufacturer spec an RCD?
Why do you think they will be a special location? What else is in there with them? Is it an area of high humidity? You may need to take this into account when specifying what is required. What about ventillation?
As it is sounding like a place of work the best advice is to have a competent electrician design and install the installation for you.

are we talking industrial premises here?

what is the room they are going in?
what makes you think they need rcd protection?

few more details required.

(id put up the crystal ball photo here if i had it, go on, someone do it) :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Installation is in a retail store's alterations room where there is steam irons etc .The work has been carried out but have already noticed that old colour SWA used .Also a steam bed needs to installed which came with 2x 16a splash proof plugs ,so would you suggest a rcd interlocked socket x 2 for this unit .

you need to be carefull here that what you install and what is currently installed is correct. not exactly a normal room by the sounds of it. if it were me i would having a good read of the appropriatte sections of bs7671 2008 to make sure you get everything bang on. Im thinking IP ratings, consideration of environment ect,

from the details you give rcd's sound like a good idea to be honest though.

Not a major concern to the likes of myself and you who are used to working with 3 phase, could be a problem to someone attempting to DIY it.

Qualified myself but had outside Company installed these units etc.Was concerned about that no certificate issued and no use of RCDS etc.Slight concern about the area where the units are ....Need to get my 17th edition which covers more information on rcds etc and special locations .

spark123 wrote
Not a major concern to the likes of myself and you who are used to working with 3 phase, could be a problem to someone attempting to DIY it.

agreed, what i was thinkin was '' i wouldnt throw good cable away just because its colours are out of date, you can make it comply with regs or even dare to do a 'departure' '' :eek:

The fact the OP was about "2x new presses and iron units need to be installed" insinuated to me the OP was wanting to do the installation work.
Similar with the sockets on in the 5th post.
If I was paying for a new circuit then I would want new cable.
Sorry, but working on 3 phase in a commercial environment wether using old or new colours is imo out of the scope of DIY. An EIC should have been issued for a new circuit if this is the case. If the OP was a bit clearer in the OP then the advice may have been clearer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back