Fitting a new toilet - soil pipe queries

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

We're fitting a new toilet into what was previously a large cupboard in our utility room. There is an existing underground soil pipe within 2m of the external wall and we want to connect the waste into this. Can anyone help with the following:

- Will we need a soil vent stack? (Is that the correct term? - "vertical vent pipe outside the house wall"?) Can we go through the house wall, vertically down into the ground, and then along to join the existing pipe, or do we need a T junction outside the wall with a vertical pipe to act as a vent?

- Can we fit a 90 degree T intot he existing pipe, or should a Y shape connector be used to prevent blockages?

- What's the difference between brown underground soil pipes and the grey or black stuff used above ground? Are they the same size and interchangable?

- We want to put a basin waste into the soil pipe. What's best for this? Space between the loo and the wall is minimal at best.

All help appreciated.
Ant

Sponsored Links
i take you haven't gone through building regs as they would have told you how they want it done.

i take you haven't gone through building regs as they would have told you how they want it done.

Erm!?? I would like to comply with building regs, which is partly why I've asked about whether a soil pipe vent is needed or not. What do you mean by "gone though building regs". Surely building regs are something to comply with, not to "go through". You now have me worried that we may need planning permission.

It's a permanent cupboard in our utility room. there's two of them, of about the same size each (1200mm x 600mm or there abouts). One is the airing cupboard, the other has coat hooks in it and we'd like to put a toilet and a small basin in there. The door, walls and light fitting already exist.

Ant

Connecting new drainage falls under building regs. You will need a stack (but you may have one already..) no, red,grey and black not interchangeable and beyond this i can';t help. Discuss with your local buildings inspector......and if you have done it don't fill in the hole unless they say so.....or they will make you dig it up again to check you did it right

Sponsored Links
It is worth having a look at

Building Regulations - Part H (dealing with drainage & waste) & Part F (ventilation)

You have to get the project signed off by your local building control dept. at the council - either on a building notice (usually used if you fully understand building regs and you know what you are doing) or a 'Full plans' - detailed drawings approved before you start the work.

If you don't obtain sign off from BC then you may well have a problem - if they become aware of the work and it doesn't comply then you will be forced to do the work again. You will also have a problem when you come to sell the property and can't produce the documents.

The specific questions you have asked can't really be answered without somebody seeing what you want to do.

The only obvious answer is that underground pipework and above surface pipework are not interchangeable.

The best course of action is to contact your local building control office and ask for some advice

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back