Conservatory and Manhole Cover - Urgent help Please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've got builders digging out the foundations for our conservatory but a manhole cover is right where the foundations are going to go. Initally the builder said they could move the manhole over to the side no problem but when they've inspected it they might have to do something else with it.

It's about 5ft deep and seems to be a solid concrete block with the hole in the middle. We've ran all our taps, flushed tiolet and got our neighbours to do the same but no water seems to run along it. Is there any way to find out if it's still used or what it's used for?

Also moving it to the side would be ideal as that's where we're going to get the patio but they think it might need to be moved more into our garden (where we've just laid a new lawn 6 months ago :cry: )

Any advice or help much appreicated as I don't want to be fobbed off by them and for them to say we'll have to have a sealed manhole in the conservatory :mad:

Thanks

Sponsored Links
it's not just the manhole - what about the pipes that run into/out of it!

what do you intend doing with these.

also, any foundations will need to be as deep or deeper than the lowest point of the drain, if said drain is within 1m or so.

can you post a piccie showing the internals of the manhole and the configuration of the connie perhaps?

:idea: i think i would have laid the lawn after the connie was finished. :idea:

from what they said the pipes run away and into the garden hence they can't just move it to the side so they would dig down over the pipe so wouldn't need to reroute the pipes

we didn't know we'd be getting a conservatory when we did the lawn otherwise like you say we'd have waited

i'll try and get some pics up later

thanks

Either way, its notifiable work under the building regs and you will need to apply to move it.

The BCO will also tell you if it is actually a public or private sewer

Sponsored Links
Either way, its notifiable work under the building regs and you will need to apply to move it.

The BCO will also tell you if it is actually a public or private sewer

:eek: they've just dumped a load of hardcore over the manhole cover and filled it up to floor level with cement for the floor. i don't think they've put any cap or anything to seal the old manhole cover - should I cry?

they've also put sheets of polystryrene down about 2 inch thick, is that enough for insulation?

i know they haven't applied for building regs and they're going to dig down and put a new manhole cover in but i don't want to be liable years down the line because the manhole cover has been moved and they haven't applied for building regs. they're fensa registered so does that get round it?

thanks

You will be personally liable, not the builders. More so if its a public sewer. How do you know what they are doing is correct? Will it lead to blockages in the future?

FENSA is for windows not manholes.

Regarding 2" insulation there are no regulations for conservatories in terms of specification, it depends on your contract with the builders and what was agreed. Most of the heat is going out the roof, so more may have diminishing returns in terms of cost/benefit

You will be personally liable, not the builders. More so if its a public sewer. How do you know what they are doing is correct?

because they're a builder and i'm not!

u have to trust what people tell you. i had 3 different local builders and each one said you wouldn't need building regs

they've done a very good job so far on the conservatory and i checked with them again and they said i won't need building regs.

how should i go about this? do i need to ring the council and get someone round? or is it too late since they've started?

thanks

you don't need reg's to construct a connie.

you do need reg's and sometimes permission from the people who own the sewer, to work on the drains.

The council wont (can't) inspect the drain work until you make a formal b/regs application.

This is a very common occurrence when the conservatory company comes to start work and either the pre-start survey was not done properly and you notified about the drain issue, or the company rep just thinks "Oh, the brickie will get over it"

Then its quick decision based on nothing else but to not hold up the job. This is for their benefit rather than yours.

If you are presented with a bill for this extra work, then you should refuse to pay on the basis that the work should be notified and inspected under the Building Act (b/regs).

Alternatively, as the homeowner, you want assurances that the work not only has been done properly, but done in accordance with any required law/regulations/obligations.

OK, the work may be done correctly, but a few months/years down the line, if the drain work becomes an issue for one of several reasons, it becomes your probelm.

If you are presented with a bill for this extra work, then you should refuse to pay on the basis that the work should be notified and inspected under the Building Act (b/regs).

they knew about the drain and added the relocation of it into the price which isn't a problem.

i'm just worried that

a) they haven't sealed it properly as the old manhole cover was left on (i thought it would need to have a special sealed cover?) and looks like it was just cemented over
b) they're not going through building regs :cry:

i guess i'll have to tackle them about it again tomorrow

it sounds bodged to me.

if they have left the chamber intact then this is wrong.

they should grub up the old chamber make good the pipework and then build a new one.

With the old manhole cover they've put lintels in and sealed the lid. They haven't filled the hole chamber with concrete but from searching on the web lintels and sealing the cover properly seems the norm?

They marked out the route of the single pipe going away and are going to dig down to meet the pipe and make a new manhole by bricking up all round the hole and making a chamber so it doesn't collapse in and put a proper cover on top

OK, last 2 questions :D

1) When they move the manhole cover they're going to build up the inside of the chamber with breeze blocks, is this sufficient?

2) Is it ok to turf over the manhole cover? I suspect it's not adviseable but thought i'd check

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back