garage conversion and Lowering concrete floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im getting quotes for an Integral garage conversion.

The first builder to give a quote advised that there is a major problem. The floor ideally would need to be lowered as the floor is 217cm from the ceiling on one side of the garage and 208cm on the other side (sloped floor). The DPM is 203cm from the ceiling.

The builder advised that the floor cant be lowered and has to be raised to the level of the existing DPM. Is he incorrect and the floor can easily be lowered or if he is right? Is there a low cost way around this?

Thanx for your time in replying?

Sponsored Links
He is incorrect.

The floor can be lowered and the new DPM run up the wall to join with the existing DPC level to provide a complete barrier. Plasterboard would then cover this.

The easiest thing to do with garage conversions is to install a new insulated timber floor above the existing. But if you can't get sufficient headroom, then the only option is to raise the ceiling or lower the floor

be careful. there may be other more sinister reasons (services) why the floor shouldn't be lowered.:cool:

Thanx for the quick replies guys. I appreciate it.

Woody's advice seems to make sense. I plan batten the wall to insulate the walls and then cover with plasterboard. I assume you cant puncture the DPM so will only batten to the top of the DPM. Does that sound like a plan?

However, I'd be a foolish not to ask what possible further problems there could be. could you expand your point?

Sponsored Links
it is unlikely but, there could be a steel gas service just beneath the floor or a shallow drain.

if you have surveyed the job and are fairly sure there are no underground obstructions, fill yer boots! ;)

There is drain in the garage. The builder did see this but did not say it would be problem. It is pretty deep in the ground and I assumed (as I thought the builder would have thought) that as I am choosing not to use this again that it could be concreted over.

Would this be a problem? I am aloud to cover it?

Thanx Guys for the information so far. you've been a great help.

I've spoken to the builder and he is coming round for another look to lower the floor and extend dpm to the dpc.

If you have any more advice or warnings please let me know. Ill update you with the progress.

..remember to getplanning permission (if needed)and building notice.The one person you need to satisfy is the building control officer (BCO).. :rolleyes:
I'm in themiddle of my conversion 6 months on... :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back