Double Glazed Patio doors v French windows mid-bar thing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am having two large sliding patio doors replaced and am playing with idea of either 3 doors or 4 and sliders or outer opening and have had quotes on all options.
However was surprised to see a bar (rod) in the glass half way up, have checked on line and only one company mentions them, but does say possible to order with or without (can't remember name they used for bar, sorry).
Question is - is the bar totally necessary? I live in a hot climate and sun will be on most of day, if that makes any differance. Replies very much appreciated! x

Sponsored Links
the bar might be to make the glass doors more visually obvious.

it is very easy to walk into a glass door if there is nothing to focus on and it is lighter on the other side. this can cause some nasty accidents. in Uk the doors have to be safety glass which a least means they are not usually fatal, but can be as bad as walking into a wall even without being slashed by falling shards. children and dogs are more likely to run into them which is worse.

Hi John
Thanks for the reply, I appreciate that could be a reasoning (and good from a sales point of view for future), but really am wanting to know if it is really necessary from a usability point of view - I want the glazing so I can look out at the view... preferably without a white line across the middle!!!

Do you mean an aluminium bar in between the 2 panes of glass? If so this is called a georgian bar, and no it is not necessary, just decorative.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back