asked to disconnect rad open vent system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have been asked to disconnect a rad on an open vent system, after i did some other work at customers house ,
i am not too keen on these systems though and the pipework is minibore and i will likley have to drain system down to disconnect and this might cause some problems when recommisioning because it's bound to have sludge in the system, is there a way of diconnecting the rad without draining sytem( turn off at feed cistern and cut and cap the pipes quick as poss)have also thought of freezing but never done it....
any idea's gents. :?: :confused:

Sponsored Links
Id do it on bungs, microbore usually holds quite well.

How disconnected do they want it? Just rad removed or pipe work and rad valves removed as well?

bungs :?:
yes they want the pipe removed to under the floor under the rad out of the way basically.

Sponsored Links

They are called a 'Drayton Drain Easy Kit'

They look like this-

And the instructions to use are here-

http://www.eliwell.it/NR/rdonlyres/B53CE0CD-B2D5-4CDF-9C83-4DED728A0A1E/0/D19_6DrainEasyLeaflet.pdf

They're available from BEE & Queue or other good plumbers merchants. Or Google the product name.

I have a set. They are excellent quality, and save me lots of time.

i think i would have left out the word 'other'.

thanks for that WS66 now i know what gasguru was talking about when he was explaining how to not drain the system down by creating a vacuum, i hope :oops:( if i remember right he was refering to a combi ) :confused:

to clarify you bung up feed and vent pipes to cistern and take some water out from air bleed and you should have a vacuum to system, and then if i cut into one side of the rad pipe i should have no probs.
nice one for the reply by the way i thought no one was interested :eek: :)
is there a easy way of knowing if it is the corect sytem ie. not primatic etc. if i remember right the primatic only has one cold water cistern.
i,ll be getting the drayton easy drain kit very soon .

Hi Newgas

No, you don't need to take water out of an air bleed. The instructions in the kit say to open the rad bleed screw to relieve a bit of system pressure, but i have never found the need to do this.

Primatic cylinders can catch you out sometimes. Yes, you're right they don't have an F&E tank, which is a giveaway. You may also find a sticker on the cylinder telling you that they are Primatic. They can be buggars to fill sometimes!

Hope this helps.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back