base for playhouse on stilts?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

We just bought this playhouse and were hoping to put it up this weekend. The instructions are a bit vague on whether we need to have a concrete base for it or not, what would you do? Can it just go on grass? If we use concrete can it just be under the feet?

maddash-lollipop-towerm.jpg
[/img]

Sponsored Links
If we use concrete can it just be under the feet?

Yeh fine, in fact the less hard stuff the better for the kids heads, should they topple off of it. The bark in the picture is a good idea.

You could either dig a smallish hole, say a 18" cube, and fill that with concrete, or put down some extra thick paving slabs under each leg. Depends on what the ground's like really.

Sponsored Links
I built our own based loosely on a design similar to that posted.

View media item 2935
Under each leg I put in a concrete 'plug' with a quarter of a paving slab set on top.

View media item 2936
However, even though it is quite substantial I found that you could still get movement of the legs. So I drilled into the slab/concrete and put in a short length of reinforcing steel, leaving about 6 inches sticking up. I drilled a corresponding hole in the centre of each leg and lowered the frame onto the steel rods - no lateral movement now!

(obviously this can only work if you can put the base frame in first, and then put on the 'superstructure' later, because of the weight)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back