Any advice? Paint-o-phobic...lots of questions!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I am to paint a few rooms in my house after being quoted £400 to paint my livign room which is abt 3m x 3 m. I can't afford that and have now decided to paint the living room, bathroom, sons room and hallway.

I hate painting and have never even painted a a radiator or skirting boards before and been googling tips. i am very confused now.

Do i do the skirting boards alst?

Do i use a 'kettle' or a tray?

Can I use a roller with the kettle?

if I use a kettle do i paint the whole wall with a brush? won't that take forever?

How do i paint skirting boards....especially on th steps!?

can you use any other paints in the paint pod?

is it any good?

As you can see I am totally lost and rubbish...any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

Sponsored Links
Right then... :)

Hi, I am to paint a few rooms in my house after being quoted £400 to paint my livign room which is abt 3m x 3 m. I can't afford that and have now decided to paint the living room, bathroom, sons room and hallway.

I wouldnt worry about whether you have the wonga or not..it sounds like he was trying to rip you off anyway.

I hate painting and have never even painted a a radiator or skirting boards before and been googling tips. i am very confused now.

And me!

Do i do the skirting boards alst?

Yep..in this order...ceiling, walls, woodwork..doors frames windows first..then skirtings last. Always cut in before you roll

Do i use a 'kettle' or a tray?

Its difficult making tea in a tray...use a kettle... ;)

Can I use a roller with the kettle?

The roller is for the tray...the paint you use to cut in goes in a paint kettle..dont use it straight from the tin

if I use a kettle do i paint the whole wall with a brush? won't that take forever?

Yep..and youll end up with a lousy job...cut in first then roll the walls, use a medium pile sleeve, wash it first and rub your hands up and down it to remove the fluff.

How do i paint skirting boards....especially on the steps!?

:eek: wow, you need steps to paint the skirting boards..you must be really short!!!

Use a good quality brush, make sure its well loaded with paint, but not dripping out of t...cut the top bit in first where it makes the wall..then paint the rest...if you have a carpet down stick masking tape over it..it stops the paint going on it and helps stop you picking up fluff.

can you use any other paints in the paint pod?

is it any good?

No......and no.

As you can see I am totally lost and rubbish...any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Dont worry about it honest...a lot of people think paintings a piece of ****..it isnt that hard but you just need to know the basics...set yourself up right and the painting bit will fall into place easier.

Keep asking the questions..someone here will always help

No schwet....:cool: [/quote]

That is bloody awesome help!!! I was seriously starting to wonder if I was seriously thinking that I was just doomed....i almost bought the paint pod thinking it would do the work for me but i guess the main work it woudl do would be emptying my pockets......fast!

Is there a best/easiest paint to use? Like maybe dulux once or something? I have ideas about what colours.

My living room is already Almond white and I am just painting it the same colour again to brighten it up and also cover areas that used to have shelves and now are not painted at all!

my hall is mint green and am painting that a kind of duck egg blue colour, bathroom is blue and am painting it a beige-browny kind colour...maybe Natural hessian by dulux and my sons room is now blue & yellow and will now be red & blue with a big superman sign on one wall but with a 'C' for his name instead.

Should I go for dulux?

I want to say that you have given me hope!!!!!!! Now where do I go for advice about hanging mirros & pictures??????!!!! :eek:

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=139577&highlight=

That is b****y awesome help!!! I was seriously starting to wonder if I was seriously thinking that I was just doomed....i almost bought the paint pod thinking it would do the work for me but i guess the main work it woudl do would be emptying my pockets......fast!

Is there a best/easiest paint to use? Like maybe dulux once or something? I have ideas about what colours.

Most paints are ok..being in the trade we tend to be a bit more picky and buy our paint based on the needs of the job at the time..just avoid home brand or the 20,000 litres for a fiver stuff

My living room is already Almond white and I am just painting it the same colour again to brighten it up and also cover areas that used to have shelves and now are not painted at all!

Fill and touch those bits up first before you paint the whole wall

my hall is mint green and am painting that a kind of duck egg blue colour,

Oh yuk...........................................only kidding. ;)

bathroom is blue and am painting it a beige-browny kind colour...maybe Natural hessian by dulux and my sons room is now blue & yellow and will now be red & blue with a big superman sign on one wall but with a 'C' for his name instead.

Should I go for dulux?

I would

I want to say that you have given me hope!!!!!!! Now where do I go for advice about hanging mirros & pictures??????!!!!

Try the 'hanging mirros and pictures section..

:evil:

Sponsored Links
hanging mirrors section? where is that? I can't find it!

Thanks so much for the help.

Only kidding :evil: ;)

But you might want to try carpentry :)

Stick around a while and youll soon turn!!...we was all normal once..now I walk around carrying a sink and dressed as a red indian!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back