need advice - changing bay window to french doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone advise??? We have a 1930s semi and at the back of the house is a bay window (5 yr old UPVC) with a small pitched slate "roof" ontop.
The window projects 350mm from the back wall and has small side windows.

We really want to open this room up into the garden, and I'd like to get the doors made and install them myself.

The main problem I can forsee is there is only an original wooden lintel above the current upvc and the brick work above has dropped slightly.
(should have been done properly 1st time round?)
Should I look to fit a proper lintel or a small rsj, or should I not bother and simpy prop everything whilst removing and fitting?

I can knock out the brickwork below and make good. I can also measure up and specify for the upvc manufacturer, but in the use of acroes and lintles I would need some help or things may go nasty?!

Of course, it would be far easier to just forget the bay and put doors in flush with the main wall - but the lady if the house will hear none of it! :rolleyes:

Any advice about this would be appreciated - Thanks

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back