Fitting new joists to support a strong loft floor.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

Upon moving into our new house, and with the impending arrival of our new baby, I put chipboard onto the existing joists merely to provide storage space.

However, we are now running out of space fast and frankly I need to maximise the house space by using the loft for a 'proper' room.

So should I:

A. Attempt to fit new joists into the brickwork and lay a new floor on that? If so, do I just do the mid-section and am I then able to lay chipboard directly onto the existing joists for light storage?

or:

B. Pay someone to do it for me? I've had a quote for £500 for just the mid-section. (I could do the eves myself allowing for storage).

If, I'm doing it myself how do I do it, please?

I'd appreciate any help.

Many thanks in advance.
Ian

Sponsored Links
What is wrong with the existing joists ? Are they too thin or too far apart to support a normal room floor ? Are they partly missing ? Also why choose chipboard ? Think about 18mm T&G or plywood as a better alternative. Materials alone are going to cost you between £500 and £1000 depending on room size. Add labour costs and that is a similar figure - so you add the materials to the labour costs and very roughly it could cost you around £2000.

Nothing wrong with the existing joists, just that they will not be strong enough to support the floor in a regularly used room. OK for light storage.

As for T & G, that's just chipboard with a neater finish.

Materials will cost nowhere near what you've described, however I notice you live in London and it probably does there.

Thanks for at least replying but frankly I think you're way off the mark there.

Sponsored Links
The joist depth will be inadequate, ie they will be overstressed, regardless of the spacing, as the live load requirement is 6x that of a loft space.

And if he's got trusses, he's into a whole new ball game for making it into a habitable area.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back