Decking above damp proof course

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am about to do a decking job for someone and there DPC is very low. I do not think i will be able to fix the ledger board below the DPC as best practise.

Will it be ok to use spacer (washers!) behind the ledger board allowing water run off.

Does anyone have any tips or is it really best not to breach the DPC?

Your help will be much appreciated.

Cheers

Russ

Sponsored Links
Having read through loads of posts on here about decking the general concensus is not to worry too much about the DPC as long as there is a small gap between ledger and wall to aid drainage. Where it becomes more of an issue is where there will be a build up of standing water above the DPC.

If I've got that wrong I'm sure the experts on here will put me right :)

This thread may address your concerns: //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=122490

I'm planning on building a deck (for the first time, eek!) in the near future so sure I'll have loads of questions myself... :D

Spacing the ledger off the wall is okay. I usually make our decks free standing on piers if poss and leave a small gap of about 5-10mm. There's plenty of decks about that have the boards at internal floor level to achieve the outdoor room look.

Incidentally, if you have water running of the back of the deck, you've definitely got it wrong :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Hi Russdeebrown,

Yes it is ok to place a ledger board above DPC providing you leave a 10 to 12 mm gap, this can be done by either using a load of stainless steel washers to the right thickness on each bolt or I somtimes use a piece of copper pipe with 2 stainless steel washers at either end to make up the correct gap.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back