Roof tile/pitch query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, having an extension built at the moment and they are coming to the roofing stage.
The roof pitch is around 15 degree and on the plans he has specified Redland Regent tiles which go down to 12.5 degrees I believe, but today we have received delivery of a load of Sandtoft Bold Roll but after looking on there website they only go to 22.5 degrees.
I presume that these will not be suitable for the job but I can't understand why he has ordered these. Are they cheaper than the Redlands?

Sponsored Links
No, he is a local, general builder I am using to build the shell.

So, should I go and tell him that these are not suitable for the job then?

And are the Sandtofts cheaper? that would explain why he has ordered them.

i wouldn't know about cost, but the tiles he bought are not suitable.

......or at least the manufacturers will not guarantee against leaks.

insist he buys the tiles that were specified, as these are the ones upon which any quote or agreement was formed.

Sponsored Links
Been to see him and he says that he took the plans into the builders merchants and they told him that they are exactly the same, but said that he will go in tomorrow to see about getting them changed.
If they are exactly the same then why can one go to 12.5 degree and the other 22.5?

There is not much difference apart from their tech spec. Which may be soley based on the 75 mm minimum headlap. If you give sandtoft tech support a call they may say that with extra headlap then a lower pitch will be ok.
Price on difference interlocking tiles is tiny.

Phoned Sandtoft 'technical' this morning but she didn't seem to know much about the said tile saying that they only guarentee them to 22.5 degree but she sounded as though she was just reading from a screen.
Just have to see what the builder says.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back