Split kitchen worktop

jxd

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a similar question to one posted a week or so ago on split worktops. I have a solid beech worktop that has split at the join by a few mm. along the whole length between two pieces. Is it possible to salvage by re-fitting by a joiner, as the rest of the worktop is in good condition and has been oiled regularly?

Sponsored Links
yes it is possible,i done this to a beech worktop a few years ago where it had come apart at the join,removed worktop and gently split the whole of the worktop,cleaned up all edges and re glued using polyurethane glue and clamped it up,worked brilliantly.

Thanks Gregers - I was hoping that would be the case! I just need to find someone now who can do it...

jxd - with open joints along the whole length an alternative might be to use a table saw to cut the w/t along the offending split, you'll only lose about 4mm from the width, but will achieve a pair of good edges for repair. Yellow Pages to find your local wood machining shop (or a decent timber yard) with a table saw - they'll do the cut for a 'drink'. Trying to open the affected area by splitting, unless the damage goes most of the way along, might cause additional damage/problems.

Pop-in some biscuits along the length, hire some sash clamps to pull together. Be watchful of oil affecting the glue taking - maybe use a solvent to remove as much oil from the edges as possible. By using biscuits (or dowels ... use a dowelling jig to get the holes to line-up, or a full-length tongue) you are increasing the chances of a decent glue area and helping to keep the top surface level.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the detailed advice! Cheers Symptoms

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back