Plasterboard or ply on the back of a staircase?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, ive just fit a new staircase and realised that the back needs something to cover it as it is exposed. I was wondering whether to use thin ply or thin plasterboard

with plasterboard the paint finish will be spot on as the remainder of the premises are drylined. With ply im assuming you cant get a good enough paint finish or am i underestimating it.

What would you guys suggest

thanks

Sponsored Links
plasterboard also gives fire protection. A wooden staircase can burn very fast which can be dangerous if you are upstairs when it happens.

I have an idea it used to be compulsory to line stairs with plasterboard for this reason, but it is not something I'm up to date with.

John would the plasterboard not droop in the middle since it will be fixed from the sides only i.e. the plasterboard screwed into the staircase strings only?

These are the real reservasion i have regarding plasterboard otherwise id use it without a hitch,

furthermore, what thickness of plasterboard would be ideal for this job

IIRC the fireproof p/b is two layers. You could poss use one and skim it.

I doubt it will sag much across the width of a staircase, but surely you could fix a central batten if this is a worry?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back