door and window

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i want to fit a door and window but the window has to be removed along with the steel frame and the wall cut is it a big job and how much would it cost.and would i need a rsj or lintel when the window was removed the flat was built in mid to late 50"s.

Sponsored Links
To answer the 3 points .... Yes, £2756.78 inc and maybe (or maybe not).

Perhaps a little more detail is lacking? :rolleyes:

there is a upvc window already there it just needs taking out and the wall cutting.i no it can be done because a women had it done in the next block of flats but she is no longer there.wot details do u need

its not possible tio tell you how much it wll costvia a forum.

best thing get several quotes

Sponsored Links
Mod 7 ... this is actually a building question isn't it? ..... removal of walls and possible new beam/lintel

The window and door bit is incidental to the work content!

To the OP, we would need to know type of construction, what is this steel frame you mention, what floor of the flat are you on, how big is the opening.

Or just post a picture from the outside.

Also, do you know you normally need the landlords permission to carry out structural works like these to a flat?

rite here goes.im on the ground floor the steel frame was wot the old metal window was in but they. left it in because it was easiar to fit the upvc window in to that rather than take the frame out.the frame has got a cill on it aswell, and the opening is 1300mm and ive got permission from the councill to do it

If you are widening the opening, then its likely that any existing lintel wont be long enough - it may be, but more likely not. So you would assume it requires replacement - with all the mess and expense that goes with it

The steel sub-frame would be just cut out and removed, and your new frame measured, and made to fit between the brickwork opening

You are looking at upwards of £600 just for the lintel replacement, then you have the cost of the lintel/beam, frames, and frame fitting, and making good

So probably not much change from £2k may be a bit more

i"m not having it widend i just want the wall cut so i can fit a back door and a window fitted so the over all length is 1300mm as it is now :D :) :cool: .there will be no other work to be done. :rolleyes:

Oh! :oops: I read "moved along" instead of "removed along with". Sorry

So its just the fitting of a combi-frame (door and window next to it). Much simpler

About £150 to knock out and make good. Then you have the cost of the frames (£400?) and fitting (£100). Maybe a little more for rubble disposal

thanks for that i cud get a door and window of ebay which wud make it even cheaper did u see the pic i put up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back