Clearing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello
So over the winter I cleared out the garden, dug up the old lawn, smashed up the concrete path and the patio. When I was done is was just a muddy area.
The plan is to build some decking and turf the rest.
Over the past 6 weeks lots of weeds have grown and some turfts of grass too.

What should I do to clear it properly ready for deck and turf.
I was going to hire a rotovator but do I need some good weedkiller product too or something?
Not much of a gardener.

thanks

Sponsored Links
Where the decking is going place a good geotex fabric and cover this with a good layer of gravel, this will prevent the weeds from growing up and where the turf is going I would run over this bit with a rotorvator and improve the soil there, level it off nice and then lay your turf!

Providing the weeds are not Japanese Knott weed or the like, then it should be fine provided you take them out whilst working the soil!

it is easier to remove weeds if they are dead

if you have any big ones, use Glyphosate or SBK (which does not kill grass). Otherwise Weedol will do.

However, if you apply Pathclear, it will not only kill the weeds, but will prevent new seeds germinating while you sit indoors watching the cricket or whatever. If you dig, hoe, rake or otherwise disturb it, the anti-seed layer is broken (which also allows you to grow grass on it).

p.s

"What's that huge weed in your garden?"

"It's Knot Weed"

"Well if it's not weed, what is it?"

A Giant Hog weed in my neighbour's garden.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back