PC wont boot

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I got a PC which is afew years old now, and it will not boot up, it shows the start up screen, then comes up with a screen saying Windows couldnt start, this may because of a recent hardware or software change. I have tried starting in safe mode, nothing, When it does restart after selecting safe mode, a nasty blue screen pops on for a second.
I do have a disc that i got awhile ago with some tools on it, one of them checks the hard drive, its comes up with there is a problem with it.

Any way, what is the best thing to do, i dont have the restore disks, shall i chuck it and buy a new one? OR can i buy a Hard drive that has Windows installed on it? Or is there something i can do to fix it?

Any help would be great.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
If you don’t actually have a Windows Operating system Install disk I think your rather stuffed; weather or not you should skip the whole PC rather depends on how old it is & what spec the major components are. It may just be a question of a corrupt OS but without a valid Windows CD there isn’t really much you can do!

Have you put on any hooky Microsoft software and then got their updates, Mr Gates is getting crafty and sends some software to your machine if he finds you are using unregistered software, this puts up a blue screen and stops your machine from booting and giving odd messages. If this is the case you will need to reformat the hard drive and reload your software, BUT before you do that you will want to retrieve all of your files that are on the drive, so you will need to get a second hard drive and set it to master, load an operating system onto that, ensure that your old hard drive is not connected at this time. once you have a machine that will boot, set the old drive to slave and fit into the machine. start the machine and then you can look at the old drive as it is now acting as a data drive and you can transfer all the data you require over. Once done reformat the old hard drive and hey presto ready to reload your operating system. I have invested in an external HDD case that I use to do such operations, they work through a USB port and save alot of messing around, you could do as I do and remove your old drive, fit it into an external case then plug it into another PC to retrieve your files ;)

Mine did something vagely similar, twice now.
no idea why. i unplugged the Hard drive, and plugged it back in again, then went into the bios and changed the first boot device back to the origonal hard drive.

Its worth trying

Sponsored Links
Mine did something vagely similar, twice now.
no idea why. i unplugged the Hard drive, and plugged it back in again, then went into the bios and changed the first boot device back to the origonal hard drive.

Its worth trying
Always worth a try! ;)

Hi Again,

This has sort of happened before afew times, i have had to take it to a PC repair shop and they have sorted it, but it cost £90.

Yesterday, when i scanned the Hard drive with some MAXTOR software it kept telling me the drive was faulty when i did a full test, I wiped it completely and now it passes the test.

So my problem now is the i dont have a restore CD, so all i have is a blank Hard Drive, i have the registration key, but no Windows, how can i sort this??

Cheers for your help guys.

So my problem now is the i dont have a restore CD, so all i have is a blank Hard Drive, i have the registration key, but no Windows, how can i sort this??
With difficulty; as I said, you need a valid Windows OS disc. If you’re original copy was legitimate & you can find someone with an OS disc of similar age, your CD key may work on that (although key each is unique it will work on a batch of system discs). You can then take a copy & use your original key. Otherwise it’s bite the bullet & buy a new OS disc or borrow someone else’s disc & go illegal; but MS are making this increasingly more difficult & have now totally shut the door on support!

If you decide on a new OS, don’t chose Vista unless your PC is capable of running it; Vista requires a much higher spec machine than previous Windows versions. You should also be aware that although re-formatting the HDD has cured the problem, this may only be temporary. As it’s happened before, it’s likely the disc is failing & it will probably happen again; HDD’s are a as cheap as chips these days so I’d skip it & buy a new high capacity drive or it may be better to junk the PC altogether & buy a new box; you can get a reasonable spec. box for everyday use with a pre-loaded OS (usually Vista Home) for less than £200 these days.

Thanks Richard, it happened a couple of years ago, Hard drive seems to be ok. I have a laptop anyway, so just want this for the kids to use, so dont want to spend money replacing it.

Thanks for your help, iam going to give Packard Bell a ring and see if they can help.

I dont see why i should have to pay for a new OS as really the PC i have is fine, but thats Microsoft for you.

Will let you know how i get on.

Have a good day

If you can get hold of a OS disc and havn't got the key, there is a file on the disc with the key in it, can't remember what the file is called right now but it is a text file in the system32 directory. Will have a look later and get back if you want... regards Al.

this is what i would to

get a seagate drive maxtor are crap drives that clunk alot ( i know seagate own maxtor now but maxtor drives are still poo) you will get a 5 year warranty with a seagate drive.

i would stay well away from vista ive tried 32 bit version and 64 bit version and i went back to xp pro and i do have a high spec machine
that can run vista no problems

get a copy of xp pro from somewhere

I got a PC which is afew years old now, and it will not boot up, it shows the start up screen, then comes up with a screen saying Windows couldnt start, this may because of a recent hardware or software change.
You need to verify that the disc has no faults, then carry out a repair installation of Windows XP.

I have tried starting in safe mode, nothing, When it does restart after selecting safe mode, a nasty blue screen pops on for a second.
What's the information on that screen?

I do have a disc that i got awhile ago with some tools on it, one of them checks the hard drive, its comes up with there is a problem with it.
What "tool", and what "problem" does it report?

Any way, what is the best thing to do, i dont have the restore disks, shall i chuck it and buy a new one?
If you have money to throw away, then yes.

OR can i buy a Hard drive that has Windows installed on it?
No.

Or is there something i can do to fix it?
Yes.

Mr Gates is getting crafty and sends some software to your machine if he finds you are using unregistered software, this puts up a blue screen and stops your machine from booting and giving odd messages.
Absolute balderdash.

If this is the case you will need to reformat the hard drive and reload your software
This is bad advice, because you need to check the disk first.

Yesterday, when i scanned the Hard drive with some MAXTOR software it kept telling me the drive was faulty when i did a full test, I wiped it completely and now it passes the test.
I see. So you didn't really wait for an answer to your question before wiping the disk. :rolleyes:

So my problem now is the i dont have a restore CD, so all i have is a blank Hard Drive, i have the registration key, but no Windows, how can i sort this?
The product key is the valuable part - all you need is the right CD for the product.

If XP Home Edition, then you need an XP Home Edition CD.
If XP Professional Edition, then you need an XP Professional Edition CD.
If an OEM edition, then you need an OEM CD.
If a Volume Licensed edition, then you need a Volume Licensed CD.

it happened a couple of years ago, Hard drive seems to be ok.
What do you mean by "ok"?
And what makes you think that it actually is "ok"?

I have a laptop anyway, so just want this for the kids to use, so dont want to spend money replacing it.
In that case why did you raise the possibility of throwing it away and replacing it?

Thanks for your help, iam going to give Packard Bell a ring and see if they can help.
Er, yes. 'Cos they're renowned for their good quality machines and support. :rolleyes:

I dont see why i should have to pay for a new OS as really the PC i have is fine
You don't have to.

...but thats Microsoft for you.
I'm not a fan of Microsoft, but the company is responsible for the widespread purchase of the single most successful software product of all time, and in doing so for bringing PC ownership and use to people like you who would otherwise be incapable of operating a computer.

If you don't like Microsoft, then don't buy any of their products.

If you can get hold of a OS disc and havn't got the key, there is a file on the disc with the key in it, can't remember what the file is called right now but it is a text file in the system32 directory.
You can't remember because there is no such file.

Will have a look later and get back if you want.
Oh please do. It will be most amusing.

maxtor are rubbish drives that clunk alot ( i know seagate own maxtor now but maxtor drives are still poo)
That's a worthless generalisation.

Maxtor have made some of the best drives of their generation. Maxtor probably thinks that you are "rubbish".

you will get a 5 year warranty with a seagate drive.
Oh really? That's not what the Seagate web site says.

How Long Does The Coverage Last?
Our warranty periods are 1 year, 2 years, 3 years or 5 years from the documented date of purchase, depending on the type of product and where it was purchased.

get a copy of xp pro from somewhere
And what if the OP has an XP Home Edition product key?

Or, by "somewhere", did you mean just pick the full retail product box from an XP Professional tree, where they're known to grow in abundance?

should change his name to softarse (he's almost there ).

find a NEW seagate drive that don't have a five year waranty go and LOOK SOFTARSE!!!

5 years warranty on sata drives, infact every drive their has one
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/129414
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/131271
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/131301
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/113426

IDE DRIVES
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/122459
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/115413
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/113430
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/127212

again every NEW seagate drive here HAS a 5 year warranty you can tell this by the way it says "Manufacturer Warranty: 5 years warranty" on each link same with every other store.

you will find this is on every site that sells them
the fact you had to research this tell's me how much computer hardware you buy

maxtor drives are well known for being rubbish anyone who has half a clue about computers avoids them myself included.

"And what if the OP has an XP Home Edition product key?

Or, by "somewhere", did you mean just pick the full retail product box from an XP Professional tree, where they're known to grow in abundance?"

well he could lend a xp retail copy from a friend and use his own product key and see if that works

or download a copy from a news group or torrent site failing that he could use a xp crack and use it anyway

they might not work but it's better than what you suggested .............................hang on you didnt suggest anything ,all you have done is rant about everyones replys

find NEW seagate drive that don't have a five year waranty
If you're an amateur and regard eBuyer as a wholesaler, then it's not surprising that you don't encounter OEM drives very often.

again every NEW seagate drive here HAS a 5 year warranty
Incorrect.

you can tell this by the way it says Manufacturer Warranty 5 years warranty on each link same with every other store
Quite so, except for those drives that have a different warranty period.

you will find this is on every site that sells them
You might. I don't.

the fact you had to reasearch this tells me how much computer hardware you buy
In that case, using your logic, the fact that I didn't have to do any research at all must tell you the facts, as opposed to something you've imagined.

Back in the real world, I spoke to Seagate last month about a failed Seagate drive, and they said that according to the serial number there was no Seagate manufacturer's warranty on that drive. The PC builder's warranty was only for one year, so my client had no choice but to pay for a new drive.

maxtor drives are well known for being rubbish anyone who has half a clue about computers avoids them myself included
Having only half a clue is not a good basis for appearing to be authoritative. I recommend that you get the matching half clue before you spout off again.

well he come lend a xp retail copy froma friend and use his own product key and see if that works
I agree. I would have spelt it correctly, mind you, but I got your drift.

or download a copy from a news group or torrent site failing that he could use a xp crack and use it anyway
Yes; of course there are illegal ways of installing XP, but that's not an option I would get involved in.

they might not work but it's better than what you suggested
You have a method that's better than using a CD that matches the XP edition for his product key?

That really doesn't seem to be a very well thought out suggestion.

Sponsored Links
Back