Plane or Saw the Door?

• Thread starter attractivebrunette
  • Start date
A

attractivebrunette

Ok, I've put underfloor heating and a new carpet in the bedroom. The door that I took off, is now too long to go back on again (because the floor has been raised by an inch or so). In order to put the door back so there is a small gap between the door and the new carpet (I dont want it to rub each time the door is opened or closed) should I try and saw a few milimeters off the door, or take it off using a plane?

I know I'm thick but any help would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
If it is only a few mm's then plane it off. Plane in from the edge to prevent the splintering of the outer edges. It would be difficult to get a straight edge cutting a few mm's off with a saw.

It depends on the door.

You have to be careful with a saw as it will chip the underside face when you cut. Especially if the door is a solid one as you will be cutting along the grain on the bottom rail, but across the grain on the two end styles - so these may chip on the rear face

Same thing for a hardboard (embossed) door

Scoring the underside will prevent chips if using a hand saw.

But for less than 5mm, a plane would be better

to be able to saw material off a workpiece you need to be removing the saw cut plus about 5mm, so a minimum of about 8-10mm in total. anything less and the saw will 'travel'.

less than 10mm and i would reach for the plane. ;)

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back