urgent help required with lining paper

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi wonder if any one can offer some advice as i am at my wits end!

I recently lining papered my hall and landing using a 1400 grade paper using solvite ready mixed heavy duty paste left to dry for a week then have applied 2 coats of crown matt emulsion, after about 1 week cracks in the paint appear down every joint of the paper, have tried repainting but cracks just reappear.

it appears to me (though i am no expert by any means) that the paint moistens the paper the paint drys then paper drys then drys and cracks the paint.

Any suggestions what to try next ?? :?:

Sponsored Links
Only guessing but it could be paste, did you make sure you wiped paper joins thoroughly after applying?

all joints where wiped down with a damp cloth, i am sure the paper is fine as it has not lifted anywhere but just get these hairline cracks in the paint after a week

My mind strays to excess paste as well, but if it's not paste, maybe the first coat of emulsion went on too thick(?) trying to fill up open joints? which maybe has lead to the 'mudcracking' effect, and the more waterbased paint you apply the more it will crack when it dries out.

Solution? get some solvent based undercoat, thin with white spirit, lightly brush some of this over a couple of the crackeled joints carefully feather it out to blend, leave to dry. Hopefully at this stage the crack has gone. Then put some emulsion over the u/c to see if it has cured prob.

Good luck.

Sponsored Links
i do have some alkali resisting primer will that be okay to use ?

What type of solvent undercoat should i use ?

Solvent undercoat is the 'OIL' based undercoat that you use under gloss paint.

Dont know about the alkali as I find th undercoat works mosy times.

The plan is to form a non water based barrier over the cracking emulsion, so that you can then carry on with waterbased paints.

Hope it works for you.

It could be down to the surface of the walls before hand, if they were previously painted with somehitng with a sheen the lining paper could struggle to get a good grip..you may have put a little to much paste on, then after you painted it the paper became damp again this might have affected the paste beneath...then as the paint dried it caused the paper to shirnk again

Try whats been suggested.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back