Fitting additional radiator to sealed system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
:confused:
I have a sealed (combi) central heating system and am currently building an ensuite and wish to add to central heating system a towel rail.

General advice appears to be to call in qualified plumber to drain down pressurized systems. Is this essential?

Do I have to drain down entire system to fit new towel rail?
Is it possible to shutdown all radiator valves and then simply cut in to a feed pipe to connect new towel rail?

This latter option is appealing as feed pipe to existing bedroom radiator runs directly under where the new towel rail will go.

Thanking you in advance of any replies.

Sponsored Links
No need to drain down if you use a pipe freezing kit.
Ask at your local hire shop for details:cool:

I'm not a plumber but I did the same by using plastic push fit joints. I was doing it downstairs so the small amount of water that leaked (while installing) went under the floorboards.

1. Release the pressure on the system (i.e. drain but do not open bleed valves - just release the pressure). Shutting down the other radiators sounds like it would also be a good idea.
2. Have ready some pushfit stop ends to fit the pipes you are cutting. Make sure they are the ones that can be removed(such as speedfit). and reused without replacing parts .
3. Cut the pipes and immediately push the stop ends on to them. As long as you have released the pressure then you shouldn't loose much water.
Note. Dont use a hacksaw, use a pipe cutter. I usually clean where I am going to cut the pipe with wire wool before cutting so I can put the pushfit on straight away.
4. Once you have put the new pipe work in place then pull off the stop ends and join up the pipes using a pushfit join. I use the speedfit ones with an extra twisty bit for added strength.

I've done it that way twice without problems.

Sponsored Links
Drain it properly, including rads. Open the filling loop and let it flush out of each drain cock in turn (if you have more than one). Fit your towel rail. Solder the joints if you can- especially being upstairs. Close cocks, put inhibitor in the top of the towel rail and re fit plug. Fill and then vent rads. Easy as pie and you've given the system a little clean out too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back