A good book on fitting windows and doors?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I know little about how PVCu windows and doors are fitted, but, like most things, I am sure I could do it with clear instructions (i.e. jargon free).

I have had a look on Amazon and there seem to be numerous books on the subject, however they all appear to be American publications rather than English ones, and the reviews suggest that they are full of unexplained jargon, leaving the reader bewildered.

Can anyone recommend to me a book which is:

(a) Suitable for English construction techniques.

and

(b) Does not launch straight into jargon without reference to a glossary of terms.

It's somewhat frustrating that the fitting of PVCu doors in particular seems to be something of a "black art", not presumably because it's difficult, but because there's scant information on it freely available! Any of the DIY manuals that you can buy from somewhere like Waterstones have no information at all on fitting PVCu windows and doors!

Thanks,

Mike.

Sponsored Links
Can I add to the ops request, one with plenty of pictures!!! :LOL:

A whole book on fitting windows? It will fit on a page of A4.

If none on the apprentice books are any good (Mitchells or Chudley), then you need the installation guide from the manufacturers, or one from wickes. If you get a pre-made frameset from the merchants, the fitting guide comes with it

But there is really no mystique to it.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply, I figured it couldn't be that hard! (rectangular opening + rectangular object to be inserted into it ...)

I have got the window fitting guide from the wickes website; I presume that with fitting a door you just need to be extra careful that the frame is absolutely perfectly upright with no warp in the frame so that the door will shut smoothly and will not swing open or closed by itself.

Sponsored Links
hi there, i've always found the most important thing to do is make sure the cill is level prior to fixing,it makes life much easier for the rest of the process.(make sure you measure the door when it's on site before you pull out the old one),hope this helps....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back