Bad brickwork? pictures.

It is a detached garage..

yes i know.

i was making a point.

there are no absolutely perfect masonry walls built piecemeal by the hand of man.

there are also tolerance parameters that should be adhered to.

shoddy work is a no-no.

Sponsored Links
Twenty odd years ago I worked on the National Physical Laboratories in Twickenham, it was a very intense bricklaying job.
On my first day I had two warnings for going too fast, I thought they were joking but the foreman said other brickies were trying to keep up and getting speed wobbles. They didn't care how long it took as long as it was perfect.

Everything was brickwork, no blocks, every fourth perp plumbed even on walls being rendered. The walls were constantly checked for plumb and level by the CoW, they even checked for perps being completely filled. The brickwork standard on this job was the was as good as you could get.

Anything that was slightly out was taken down, as you can imagine there was a big turnover in brickies, a lot only lasting about an hour or two.

So it is possible to have a high standard but it has to be paid for. People think all bricklayers are the same, after all it's only a matter of laying one brick on top of another, so a cheap job should be as good as an expensive one.

My opinion, a bit shoddy for the money.

to me that looks shoddy work and if someone said to me that it was ok I wouldn't want them doing any work for me!

i've just had a connie built and yes the internal breeze blocks don't look the most attractive in terms of finishing but they're solid, level and will be plastered over. the outside brick has to be perfect in terms of being level and well pointed. i'm no builder but can see from your pics that the builder hasn't made a very good job

as it's a detached garage and not being joined onto an existing structure there is no reason for it not too be level

Motar joins in line! :rolleyes:
In the 3rd pic it looks like you could push that breeze block out
Peir bricks not level :rolleyes:
unlevel blockwork :rolleyes:

i'd be very dissapointed with that work and would be looking for someone else to do it like you'e now done

and muttered something about the heat...

met a few brickies in the last few weeks due to getting work done and also 2 friends are getting extensions and i don't mean to offend anyone but brickies seem to complain about every little thing from heat to cold to having to carry bricks too far :D

Sponsored Links
That is rough if its fair faced and to be painted, £250 is a hell of a good day rate

steveb's fingernails look nicely manicured though, and the way he daintily holds that level.

bet he hasn't done much in the way of brickies labouring. :cool:

only kidding steve. :LOL:

steveb's fingernails look nicely manicured though, and the way he daintily holds that level.

bet he hasn't done much in the way of brickies labouring. :cool:

only kidding steve. :LOL:

Think you mean me not steve B, and that is my old man holding the level, retired, and as you say hasnt done a days labouring since about 1955. :)

However I am a different kettle of fish, and I am sorry if you think I am unreasonable to expect a good quality of block work for a garage( after all am I not paying the same day rate if he was building a house wall?)
If i was paying a "cheap" rate then fair enough.

After getting the footings dug, 4 trucks loads of muck away, 8 meters of concrete ,2 sheets of reinforcing steel, and a lot of sweat and time on my part getting the footing level and square, call me old fashioned, but I kinda wanted the garage to be built well, square and plumb.

As I said before, I was paying a good day rate in the expectation of a good quality job, it should not make the slightest differance that it is a garage. The quality of work should be the same as the pay is the same.

Anyway thanks for all the help and comments. I do find this site helpful.

Alex

i do not think it unreasonable to expect a specific standard of work.

i do cringe when i see people placing levels up another blokes work though.

Notice you dont show the bubble in your level pic, was it plumb by chance ?
:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: Would you have been happy if he had done half as many blocks in a day and they were perfect ??? Trouble is you may now find it hard to replace him , alarm bells will ring to the next brickie that looks to take it on. At £250 per day you should have no prob though.
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=137466 check out my old thread if you think you have problems :LOL:

Notice you dont show the bubble in your level pic, was it plumb by chance ?
:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: Would you have been happy if he had done half as many blocks in a day and they were perfect ??? Trouble is you may now find it hard to replace him , alarm bells will ring to the next brickie that looks to take it on. At £250 per day you should have no prob though.

Considering he laid 80 blocks in a day... no, because I could lay at a rate of 40 a day and get them level and plumb. :)
The whole point of hiring a pro, is quality, speed, knowledge, tools.

I don't understand some of these people, I do some work in London and work is definately starting to get a bit tight, they need to stop taking the p**s out of people who are giving them a wage.

The good thing about the work drying up is, it does get rid of a lot of slackers. It's a shame a lot of good trades have to suffer as well.

Considering he laid 80 blocks in a day... no, because I could lay at a rate of 40 a day and get them level and plumb. :)
The whole point of hiring a pro, is quality, speed, knowledge, tools.[/quote]
Why not crack on this weekend then and save a few Quid :confused: Not being negative,
but £250 per day you should get a standard you are happy with .

£250 is about 200 or so 4" blocks, fair faced on site price, depending on the rates in different areas, but about that a bricky gets

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back