Door problems on external building (block up? convert?)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We currently have an external garage type building in our back garden. The previous owner was an avid carpenter & used it as a workshop, hence the workshop-esque look about it.

Neither my husband or I have any interest in woodwork, and so we're currently using it as a shed basically. But at 20ft x 10ft it's a rather large shed, and a complete waste of space!

Recently we've found a need for the space, an office. Our business needs to go online only for a year until our new premises are ready next summer. So we need somewhere we can house our stock and I can work from.

The inner is breeze block which we plan to plasterboard etc, but the main problem is the doorway:

DSC00048-1.jpg

The door is chunky wooden construction. Again, made by the avid carpenter who lived here before.

DSC00049-1.jpg

There is nearly an inch gap between the doors, allowing dirt, spiders, slugs and more to enter the building. As a shed that's no problem, but it wouldn't be suitable for the office.

DSC00050-1.jpg

DSC00051.jpg

The above is the inside of the door.

So, we're not sure whether to try to convert the door into a better, more sealed door. If so, how would we go about this?

Alternatively, ripping it out, blocking it up and installing a UPVC door. Which would be costly. Again, how would we go about doing that?

We're not sure what the best option is.... any ideas?

Sponsored Links
it looks like you have a concrete floor.

the doorframe looks like it is made of correct profiles

I would sugest you extend a concrete pad outside the shed, with a slight fall to carry water away and to give you a firm step to stand on. this will reduce water and also slug traffic. Unless you need disabled access it is usual to have the doorstep above the ground.

If the floor of the shed is not above ground level you may have to excavate a bit (maybe put a flower bed in) as you want the step to be higher than the ground.

If the frame is a standard size you might be able to fit professional double doors, you could have one fixed and use it as a sort of window if you don't need them both opening.

Decide what to do at ground level first. then either measure the frame to see what will fit, or have the opening bricked up and a normal door and frame fitted.

it looks like you have a concrete floor.

Yes there is a damp proof membrane, then concrete.

I would sugest you extend a concrete pad outside the shed, with a slight fall to carry water away and to give you a firm step to stand on. this will reduce water and also slug traffic. Unless you need disabled access it is usual to have the doorstep above the ground.

There are concrete slabs directly outside the doorway to the building. You can see them in the final photo.

If the frame is a standard size you might be able to fit professional double doors, you could have one fixed and use it as a sort of window if you don't need them both opening.

The door isn't standard size. It's completely customised, which is a real pain.

Decide what to do at ground level first. then either measure the frame to see what will fit, or have the opening bricked up and a normal door and frame fitted.

Do you know what kind of ball park figure I'd be looking at to have a gap like that bricked up? We were looking at UPVC doors yesterday, slightly wider than normal (2 thinner double doors) which would allow less to be bricked up, but a fair amount would still need doing.

Sponsored Links
There are concrete slabs directly outside the doorway to the building. You can see them in the final photo
yes and I also think I can see slug-friendly gaps.

no idea of price. A joiner would probaly fit a new frame and doors in a day and a half, a bricklayer might do the wall in a day, but if you find a small reputable local builder he will probably do the lot including an outdoor slab.

In my experience individual tradesmen are better at their own jobs, so try to find a good local joiner first, he will tell you what's needed and will know other local tradesmen who he's willing to recommend.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back