system noise rads not heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Following pump replacement the system makes loud banging noises, the radiators do not heat up but we do get hot water. The pump was replaced as the radiators were not heating presumably due to failed pump (pump switched on, but the impeller was not rotating). The new replacement pump, Grunfos, now rotates but the radiators do not warm up and load banging noises can be heard from the pipe work. All the rads have been bled but it was noted that the last radiator to be bled took along while to fill???. In addition,and i'm not sure if this helps but when draining the system to fit the new pump the water was black. I know inhibitor was used about 5 years ago (sentinel X100) but could the system have sludge build up?? If the system requires flushing how would i go about this?
Not being a plumber i'm not sure what information is relevant so here is some more info:
The pipe from the boiler is hot, the pump is hot, all pipes from the 3 way valve are hot, the overflow back to the header tank is hot and the water in the header tank is hot. I have manually switched the three way and this allows one of the radiators to warm initially then go cold (within 5 mins).
Any guidance would be gratefully appreciated.
The boiler is a Maxi Solo approx 13 years old.

Sponsored Links
wilhelm said:
replacement pump flow direction same as old one?
Thanks for the reply. Yes same model & type of pump in the same direction, mounted vertically and pumping the flow upwards away from the boiler. I have been advised by a collegue to continue bleed the last radiator in the system even though water comes out, whilst the diverter valve/switch is set to manual. This has resulted in the upstairs radiators working but not the downstairs. Any more ideas?????

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back