Toilet- Water fills past level

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My toilet is constantly over filling past the marked level in the tank, causing it to drip into the overflow tube.

Whats wrong & what needs to be replaced?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
On older ball valves with a float on the end of a lever :

Change the washer. That will improve it. There is normally an adjust ment if you have a plastic valve - there is a nut you wind back and forth to raise or lower the shut-off level. The adjuster is near the valve itself and adjusts the plunger that presses the washer.

If you have a more modern hi tech floatt valve then the adjustment depends on the type.

It's usually either the adjustment of the float valve, or wear in the float valve.
Try moving the float down a bit, so it cuts off earlier.

There are many different types of valves. Some valves have a screw adjustment, some have a spring clip holding the float etc. etc.

If it continues to leak water when it should have closed, then the float valve may need dismantling and cleaning, or it may be about time to replace it.

I have tried tightening the adjustment screw and it continues to over-fill.

I'm thinking the ballcock inlet washer needs replacing?
Will this help it?

Dal5band: which washer were you referring to?

Sponsored Links
Yeah ballvalve washer may need replacing, failing that go to a plumber's merchants and buy a Fluidmaster Pro - £8.99 and you'll be sorted

went to the local hardware store today and replaced the ballcock washer, it stop the water from overfilling and stop the water at the marked line.
But the water was still leaking, turns out the seating washer was for a different brand cistern and contributing to the leakage. So i bought a got matching seat washer for my cistern and a sign of relief, no more leaking :D

Thanks for all your replies!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back