New plasterboard ceiling question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I'm in the process of getting quotes for a new plasterboard ceiling for a residential upstairs bedroom. I've already removed the old one due to water damage and it being in a really bad state.

Whilst getting one quote the guy said the ceiling would need to be double boarded due to fire regs. Is this true or is he just trying it on?

I asked another plasterer about this and he wasn't sure and said he normally puts 12.5mm boards, which is what I expected. I haven't been able to contact my local building control and doing a search on the internet hasn't confirmed it either.

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
skimmed 12.5mm boards satisfy the 1/2 hour fire resistance rule.

if greater than 1/2 hour resistance is needed then there are fireline boards available. quicker and cheaper than double boarding.

Is there a flat above? this is not bad advice too double board at this stage, but like for like would be ok. Ask for the price for one skin and then decide, what was the price?

It's actually my semi-detatch house and only an attic above. I think 12.5mm skimmed should be fine then, which was how it was before.

He wanted £350 for the ceiling. Is that a fair price?

Sponsored Links
It's actually my semi-detatch house and only an attic above. I think 12.5mm skimmed should be fine then, which was how it was before.

He wanted £350 for the ceiling. Is that a fair price?

No its not great. A 5m x 5m ceiling will cost £85 materials. A plasterer and a labourer will eat it in about 4 hours but probably charge you for 1 day which should be £200 tops. £285 supply and fix for cash.

Nick

No its not great. A 5m x 5m ceiling will cost £85 materials. A plasterer and a labourer will eat it in about 4 hours but probably charge you for 1 day which should be £200 tops. £285 supply and fix for cash.

Nick
Old post again!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back