timber extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, can anybody tell me what building regs etc i need to use to build a timber single storey extension. Also if any body has any tips that would be great.
Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
They are the same regs that you need to follow if building out of brick or straw :rolleyes:

You need to keep the water out, keep the heat in, and keep sound in and out. Oh, and make sure it stands up and does not blow away.

If you want to know specifics, then you will have to ask exactly what you want to know

Ok more to the point. What timber thickness is required for frame, are there restrictions on what insulation can be used, are there any regs specific for timber extensions and where will I find them.

Is this wholly a timber frame with cladding or will it be brick faced?

Frame thickness is governed by external cladding and which insulation you want to use - and incorporating services etc to maintain sound and thermal properties of the wall panels.

You need to consider loading forces from the roof and windows, and also racking resistance of the frame.

The b/regs won't help much and you need to know how to construct a timber frame. So your best bet is to spend some money on "Timber frame construction" 2007 edition from TRADA. This contains all you need to know in straightforward language and will also refer to other relevant BS standards etc

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back