wiring a dimmer switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

Need some advise about changing my dimmer switch.

My present switch has 2 red wires going into L1 (or is it L2 - I dont remember) & a wavy symbol. There is one more wire with green & yellow which was folded & tucked away into a corner. The switch doesnt have any place for the third wire.

The new dimmer switch that I have bought has L1, L2 & the wavy symbol.

So what should go where ?????

Pls note that I cant do DIY to save my life. I am only attempting this as my wife threatened to leave me if I dont sort this out by this weekend (5 hrs & 10 mins to go) & I couldnt find anyone to come along for such a tiny job.

Thanks,

Sanlak15

Sponsored Links
Wire one cable into the ~ symbol and the other into L1. If there's no earth connection on the dimmer then leave the green/yellow cable as it is, otherwise wire it in to the earth terminal on the dimmer. (It will have an earth terminal if it's a metal-plate dimmer.)

would you believe it goes the same way as the one you have?

tips.

switch mains off

Lable each cable

make note of lables / where each goes

is it a metal front switch ? If so you need to connect the earth to this and the back box

You cant dim most "energy saving lamps"

Is the dimmer rated big enough i.e 250 w dimmer wont dim 300w of lamps or 250 w dimmer wont dim 5 50 w halogens (dimmers for halogen lamps usulay have to be de rated by 50 %)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back